Sheep Show 2020

I'm planning to attend again. My wife and I stayed at the Lodge at Edgewood up on Lake Tahoe last year. Beautiful property! I too am hoping to book a sheep hunt this year. I'm sure I'll go on Friday for the <1 beer banquet.

As far as entering raffles, does it matter what banquet you go to?
The banquets are for the auctions/permits. The <1 is Friday afternoon adjacent to the hall and the Blue/Red raffles where they draw the 4 sheep tags (+RMG & rifles, etc) is Saturday afternoon in the main show. Even if you got kicked out this year (Congrats!) you want to go to the <1 reception for the entertainment. You can always win an Ibex hunt in the <1 iClub!

The banquets are for the auctions/permits. The <1 is Friday afternoon adjacent to the hall and the Blue/Red raffles where they draw the 4 sheep tags (+RMG & rifles, etc) is Saturday afternoon in the main show. Even if you got kicked out this year (Congrats!) you want to go to the <1 reception for the entertainment. You can always win an Ibex hunt in the <1 iClub!

very helpful, thank you!

dogman11

FNG
im trying to talk my wife into going, she is not a hunter what activities are there for her to do, she likes fine shopping and spas!

the hack

WKR
First “real” post here. I am planning to attend and have never hunted sheep. On the advice of this site I am looking for a Canadian Dall sheep hunt, likely in 2021. I plan on spending my time meeting with outfitters. I would like to suffer through a backpack hunt as best I can tell, this is what draws me to the mountains and sheep. In speaking with outfitters, I am compiling a list of things to ask. I apologize in advance for how naive these questions are.
1. References, about five for successful and unsuccessful hunts
2. Success rates
3. Average days until rams harvested
4. Number of legal rams spotted
5. Number of guides
6. How long have the guides been with the outfitter
7. Average days lost to weather

I am wondering what level of horsemanship one needs if they ride into an area and then backpack in. I see that several outfitters use planes and helicopters too.

I know I have a TON of research, training, and equipment costs to make this happen but trust it is in reach.

Lastly, wondering if there are any avid sheep hunters in northern Minnesota that feel generous and up to mentoring a 40s professional-I’ll buy the food and beer!

Im making the tough 30min trek to get there. Cabelas, Sportsmans, and Scheels usually have $5 off entry fee coupons. Just walkin and get one.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Think I‘m heading down for it this year. Used to hit the DSC event every single year without fail. Since moving to Alaska, haven’t attended since 2005. Keep saying I’ll do Reno and each year I find some interference. Talked my brother into meeting me there to get him some inspiration before his first sheep hunt this coming August.

Will be mostly toy shopping, visiting, checking out outfitter booths for fun, but I’ll be DIY for a while—till I draw some bighorn or other out of AK dream tag.

For those that have gone a number of times before—Peppermill vs Atlantis? Which preferred? The covered walkway to the show from Atlantis sounds great, of course so does being close to home at the end of the banquet nights should my brother prove a bad influence.

Think I‘m heading down for it this year. Used to hit the DSC event every single year without fail. Since moving to Alaska, haven’t attended since 2005. Keep saying I’ll do Reno and each year I find some interference. Talked my brother into meeting me there to get him some inspiration before his first sheep hunt this coming August.

Will be mostly toy shopping, visiting, checking out outfitter booths for fun, but I’ll be DIY for a while—till I draw some bighorn or other out of AK dream tag.

For those that have gone a number of times before—Peppermill vs Atlantis? Which preferred? The covered walkway to the show from Atlantis sounds great, of course so does being close to home at the end of the banquet nights should my brother prove a bad influence.

Peppermill.

I’d recommend you go to their site and book your stay on Monday. They are doing a big sale on hotel stays. Probably some good deals in there.

wyosteve

WKR
I'll 3rd the Peppermill. There is a shuttle that runs about every 15 mins. from the Peppermill to the Convention Center. It's nice after a long night at the banquet/auction to just walk back to your room. Just my .02!

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks gents.

Not sure about Monday sale, but will say with the codes WSF has for the show, the rooms are pretty stinking cheap at both locations.

Will

I've already booked plane tickets and hotel-Peppermill is great and the shuttle is not one to make you waist time. Good times meeting and visiting with lots of folks. Plenty of booths to visit, the earlier days, especially Thursday, is better to talk serious sheep hunting and decide with whom you'll want to have as your outfitter/guide.

The later in the convention, best to go early in the day. The hordes of wannabe sheep hunting yuppie larvae that have been to the backward-hat stores and drinking way too much tend to keep you from getting close enough to the booths, making it a bit of a challenge to get the "bang for your buck" info you need. Not that I don't drink...just not enough to be spouting BS.

During the day, there's plenty of good lectures, and every night the banquets are a blast. The Life Member breakfast is a must attend if you're a Life member.

So much to see and absorb...I've made it a few times...last time was 2017 as my son was getting married in Jan 2018...and I hate to miss a few days of water fowling as the third week of January is when the skies open up with Mallard, Gadwall, Teal, and Bull Sprig in our part of the Flyway.
Best,
DWD

MtGomer

WKR
First “real” post here. I am planning to attend and have never hunted sheep. On the advice of this site I am looking for a Canadian Dall sheep hunt, likely in 2021. I plan on spending my time meeting with outfitters. I would like to suffer through a backpack hunt as best I can tell, this is what draws me to the mountains and sheep. In speaking with outfitters, I am compiling a list of things to ask. I apologize in advance for how naive these questions are.
1. References, about five for successful and unsuccessful hunts
2. Success rates
3. Average days until rams harvested
4. Number of legal rams spotted
5. Number of guides
6. How long have the guides been with the outfitter
7. Average days lost to weather

I am wondering what level of horsemanship one needs if they ride into an area and then backpack in. I see that several outfitters use planes and helicopters too.

I know I have a TON of research, training, and equipment costs to make this happen but trust it is in reach.

Lastly, wondering if there are any avid sheep hunters in northern Minnesota that feel generous and up to mentoring a 40s professional-I’ll buy the food and beer!
I went with Gana River in 2017 (on a hunt I won at Sheep Show). Their horses are absolutely incredible and totally child, bomb and idiot proof. Having a medium level of horse experience, if I could think of one thing to complain about, it is actually how the horses are for very novice riders. You don’t have to know anything. The few little things to learn they’ll teach you. You can just sit there and your horse will follow the guides horse or all the horses in the string step for step.

Wassid82

WKR
Last year was my first time going and I had so much fun and gained so much knowledge talking to industry gurus that I'll try to go as often as I can in the future. I've already committed to 2020