Sheep Show 2020

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
First “real” post here. I am planning to attend and have never hunted sheep. On the advice of this site I am looking for a Canadian Dall sheep hunt, likely in 2021. I plan on spending my time meeting with outfitters. I would like to suffer through a backpack hunt as best I can tell, this is what draws me to the mountains and sheep. In speaking with outfitters, I am compiling a list of things to ask. I apologize in advance for how naive these questions are.
1. References, about five for successful and unsuccessful hunts
2. Success rates
3. Average days until rams harvested
4. Number of legal rams spotted
5. Number of guides
6. How long have the guides been with the outfitter
7. Average days lost to weather

I am wondering what level of horsemanship one needs if they ride into an area and then backpack in. I see that several outfitters use planes and helicopters too.

I know I have a TON of research, training, and equipment costs to make this happen but trust it is in reach.

Lastly, wondering if there are any avid sheep hunters in northern Minnesota that feel generous and up to mentoring a 40s professional-I’ll buy the food and beer!
It used to be that you couldn't go wrong with either Stan (Simpson or Stevens). Now that Simpson is no longer outfitting but doing charter and tourism, Stevens is your guy. Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters is very, very good. When I was looking at Dall hunts back in 2013 when my dad was getting his FNAWS, he asked a few folks who were very well-connected at the show who would be their choice to get me a ram. MMO was the recommendation (they were discreet about this, as they could not openly recommend).

I ultimately went the AK route through a friend's contact and got a nice 36.5" ram in the AK Range. I saw my outfitter last weekend at DSC and told him that if we could do another $8,000 Dall hunt, I'm in. He laughed his butt off, as there's no way that steal will ever happen again.

If I was in the market for Canada, MMO would be at the top of my list for a conversation at Sheep Show. Their reputation is stellar. Pricey, yes, but they will get you a ram. For those of you that are losing money being out of the office and a repeat trip is very expensive due to this, Canada is a better choice than most AK hunts.

Last edited:

the hack

WKR
It used to be that you couldn't go wrong with either Stan (Simpson or Stevens). Now that Simpson is no longer outfitting but doing charter and tourism, Stevens is your guy. Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters is very, very good. When I was looking at Dall hunts back in 2013 when my dad was getting his FNAWS, he asked a few folks who were very well-connected at the show who would be their choice to get me a ram. MMO was the recommendation (they were discreet about this, as they could not openly recommend).

I ultimately went the AK route through a friend's contact and got a nice 36.5" ram in the AK Range. I saw my outfitter last weekend at DSC and told him that if we could do another $8,000 Dall hunt, I'm in. He laughed his butt off, as there's no way that steal will ever happen again.

If I was in the market for Canada, MMO would be at the top of my list for a conversation at Sheep Show. Their reputation is stellar. Pricey, yes, but they will get you a ram. For those of you that are losing money being out of the office and a repeat trip is very expensive due to this, Canada is a better choice than most AK hunts.
Thanks a ton!

I've got my eye on the weather and road conditions. I'm Flying DFW-RNO tomorrow morning. Then trying to drive to Incline Village in a rental. Hopefully the storm stays on the less severe side of the spectrum this year.

BrianReno

FNG
It's supposed to snow tomorrow morning up at the lake and rain down here in the valley. Might turn to snow down here by the afternoon.

Coming up tomorrow morning following an AZ Coues deer hunt. Camped about 2 hrs away right now.

Coming up tomorrow morning following an AZ Coues deer hunt. Camped about 2 hrs away right now.

If any of you guys are interested in Alaska Dall Sheep hunting, stop and say hi to my friends Frank and Sue while you are at the sheep show. They are a wealth of dall sheep knowledge and some of the nicest folks you will ever meet. Frank is an incredible artist as well, check out some of his bronzes.

qA86jo7.jpg

wyosteve

WKR
Sat with Stan Stevens and his wife at dinner last night. What a great gentleman as someone said. Gonna explore a caribou hunt with them!

We made it up to our hotel in Incline Village but it was whiteout conditions pretty much all the up from Reno. I'm glad to be here. Fresh bottle of whisky in the room.

BrianReno

FNG
Some roads are super slick out here this morning. Hope everyone makes it safely to the show today. I'll be there around noon.

Looks like Dan Montgomery, Ultimate Thule "Paul Claus", and the Kluane tag took top dall sheep honors. No surprises there.