Sheep tarp or gunnison tarp?

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
I am hung up between the SO gunnison tarp or the Kifaru Sheep tarp. I need a small light tarp for daypack duty. Mainly for emergency storm coverage, and a bit of shelter while glassing, but no planned nights underneath it. Does one stand out over the other and if so, for what reasons?

thanks in advance for your input.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Check out bear paw wilderness designs (bearpawwd.com) instead. More size options, lighter, and much more reasonable prices. They also make them in Dyneema if you want to spend the cash for the lightest tarp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I would second the DST. I have the sheep tarp and it works, but the DST is so quick and easy to pitch in the diamond configuration with a tree and/or trekking poles I pack it more often. 2 guys with gear can hole up under it pretty well. I seem to be taking the DST if I think there is a decent chance I will use it.

If it’s just a very slight chance I will use it but I want something I take a Mytrailco poncho tarp as my raingear and tarp. It is about the size of the Sheep tarp but lighter built.

mt100gr.

WKR
X3 on the DST Tarp. It's a very versatile tarp and can shelter a couple guys glassing with room to operate, cook, store gear, etc. 20180930_162058.jpg
We had 3 guys tucked under here for 3 days on this trip. Dropped it flat on the ground at night and enjoyed a dry spot to spend a lot of hours behind the glass. The tarp made it possible to put in the time necessary to see what we needed to see.

OP
S

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for your input. Seems like I should give the dst some serious consideration. How small can you compress the dst to pack away?

Mosby

WKR
I went with the Sheep Tarp. I hunt alone a lot and it meets my needs for sun shade, store gear and quick cover. I am not using it for overnight.

OP
S

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies guys - I ended up going with the seek outside Gunnison tarp. I had a credit to use and it ended up only costing me $20 out of pocket so I figured I would give it a try.