Sheep Tarps

Cascade340

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t tried any other brands but I got the kifaru sheep tarp and absolutely love it. Used it on my sheep hunt and after seeing how useful it was I now carry it with me on all my hunts.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
Both myself and my sheep hunting partner have used the Hyperlite Mountain Gear 8’x10’ flat tarp. It’s probably the lightest you can find since it’s cuben fiber. Not cheap, but it’s certainly worth it. I think if you sign up for emails HMG is offering a 20% off code now. Would be a good time to pick one up.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
I got an email with a coupon code, maybe since I’m a repeat customer. You can PM me if you’d like and I’ll share it.

If you didn’t want to pay the higher price for anything Cuben Fiber, the Seek Outside DST tarp looked intriguing and probably what I would go with as a second choice. That reinforced cone in the center of it looks like it would be useful for pitching it in a glassing friendly type shape. It is heavier though obviously than the HMG Flat Tarp. According to HMG the 8’x10’ is 9.74oz w/o stakes.

There are options from Hilleberg too, but they’re heavier as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got an email with a coupon code, maybe since I’m a repeat customer. You can PM me if you’d like and I’ll share it.

If you didn’t want to pay the higher price for anything Cuben Fiber, the Seek Outside DST tarp looked intriguing and probably what I would go with as a second choice. That reinforced cone in the center of it looks like it would be useful for pitching it in a glassing friendly type shape. It is heavier though obviously than the HMG Flat Tarp. According to HMG the 8’x10’ is 9.74oz w/o stakes.

There are options from Hilleberg too, but they’re heavier as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the offer I’m going to refrain

EdP

WKR
I have a Seek Outside DST that I set up as a diamond fly with a ~7' front pole and ~4' prop stick. I love it for a winter hunt camp.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've tried some smaller tarps (5x7, 7x7) and have come to the conclusion they are too small to provide the needed coverage for glassing. I now have a 7x9' sil tarp now that does provide adequate coverage. ( 9 oz for the tarp, 13 oz with guys/stakes).

BTW this is for mule deer/elk, but glassing is glassing :)

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I took the Kifaru Sheep tarp to the Brooks with me this last year. We used it a lot and I've been using it the last 5 seasons or so on lower 48 hunts. Very rarely is it ever out of my pack.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I took the Kifaru Sheep tarp to the Brooks with me this last year. We used it a lot and I've been using it the last 5 seasons or so on lower 48 hunts. Very rarely is it ever out of my pack.

Jordan,

Has the sheep tarp been big enough for two people from your experience? Thanks.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes for sure 2 people. We had 4 of us under it in AK a couple times but that's an emergency situation for sure.