Shelter for Colorado 3rd rifle season

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have a small 4 seasron tent I was planning to use for the hunt, but I'd like to up grade to a floorless shelter and stove. What are the pros and cons of this setup vs my 4 season?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Backpacking probably above tree line
That's going to be some really crappy weather up there that time of year. Nothing less than a high end Hilleberg if above treeline. If below, you will want a stove if you can. If recommend a Kifaru Sawtooth

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

armyjoe

Super Moderator
The area I'm planning on hunting is near crater peak if that helps.
Snotel puts that area at 4" of snow during 3rd season on average for the past 10 years. I would look at this hunt as a no go for above treeline but each year is different. The floorless ahelter and stove combo is great for hunts like these because you can dry gear, warm up and if a storm blows in you are much better off than a guy in a standard tent. More flexibility for sure in the later hunts.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
That's going to be some really crappy weather up there that time of year. Nothing less than a high end Hilleberg if above treeline. If below, you will want a stove if you can. If recommend a Kifaru Sawtooth

Floorless advantage: Stove. Which means disadvantage: need wood. So, if you're above treeline, getting wood can sometimes be a pain. As stated above, Hilleberg is going to be the best fit for that. Down in the trees a little, look at the sawtooth from Kifaru.

Good Luck

elkduds

WKR
Snotel puts that area at 4" of snow during 3rd season on average for the past 10 years. I would look at this hunt as a no go for above treeline but each year is different.

Average weather data in CO is a sucker bet. 4" of snow/year on average could mean 8 yr dry, 2 yr w 20". The last 5 years have been very mild and dry during CO in Oct/Nov. This fall could be the year the weather pendulum swings back, so be prepared for anything up to 2 feet of snow. That much snow will move most game lower, if they didn't already run down to private property when the woods filled w orange pumpkins starting in mid Oct. Good to have a plan for beach weather, snowshoe weather and everything in between. Also, the weather here can change fast, so access to forecast is essential.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Also, the weather here can change fast, so access to forecast is essential.

Even with a forecast, you're rolling the dice sometimes. About 12 years ago I saw the forecast for the next 5 days before I went up. "Clear skies and nothing in sight for those 5 days". That next day I was a few miles in and looking to the north the sky turned black. No big deal......nothing out there in the forecast, so it's just a quick flurry that popped up. So it starts to snow.......I hunker down and wait for it to pass. An hour later there's 8" of snow on the ground and I still can't see 50 feet. With no end in sight I hoofed it out of there by GPS best I could and back to camp. By the time I got to camp, there was a foot of snow. But nothing in the forecast for that area.

elkduds

WKR
Crater Peak on GM is 11.3K elev, not above timberline. Hard to get above timberline on GM. A high camp in the vicinity would be 10.5 to 11K.

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
Regardless of the weather, a stove that time of year in CO is a SERIOUS morale booster and well worth it if your system is dialed. Bring your old 4 season just in case we are having an indian summer.

AdamW

WKR
Hunted CO for the first time during first rifle last year. It was "nice" weather. No snow, no rain, sunny most every day. I think there'd have even been a morale boost for me at that time of year having a stove. Luckily my flatland ass was so tired by the end of a full day of hunting that it was pretty much eat dinner and right to bed.

I'd say a stove will be in my future for most western hunts. I think you'll find one beneficial.