Shelter for SW Montana

whaack

WKR
Past few years my BIL and I have hunted CO archery elk. This year we both drew MT. We are headed out to SW MT the first half of September.

I have a Hilliberg Niak and a SO Silvertip. The ST setup saves almost a pound in weight.

For those who have hunted archery elk in SW MT am I better off with one over the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewade07

WKR
If you dont have to worry about the cold id go with the Silvertip. It usually doesnt snow then but its a possibility. Bugs are usually not bad that time of year either. I use a Cimarron all throughout the year for reference. If it starts to rain you might be a little cramped in the ST with two dudes and all your gear in there though.

jaypope

Lil-Rokslider
My vote is the Niak. That’s what I ran last year in SW Montana and it did really well in the 6-8” of snow we got the first week of the season.

80abf8f8c4dca712dccb2998031d5b61.jpg
dbc3fb5782a0fe787e6651444d09b4f5.jpg

My very first elk hunt was in mid to late September in SW Montana and there was a crazy snowstorm that dumped over 12” on me. My advice… be prepared for snow!!!

Spence14

WKR
Hunted SW MT last year mid Sept. and ran the SO Cimarron. Worked out great. I think the tarp will do just fine if you are backpacking in. I also showed up about a week after the early September snow that @jaypope mentioned, so I didnt have to deal with that. Might have been a different experience.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
To clarify the shelter will be me only. BIL has his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Either should work fine if you have conditions like I had in SW MT. I have done that trip a few times in September/early October with a tarp and it worked fine. Light tent like Niak would be fine too, but the tarp did the trick for me--bugs weren't an issue, held up to the weather., flexible pitch options. Lots of bears around where I was--had one woofing near front of my tarp in the night. Obviously a tent won't keep out a bear but might have felt better after that experience with a tent around me, though I went back after that with a tarp again (and saw even more bears than the time before).