Shelter material - fire resistant

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
I'm wanting to try my first go at building a floorless shelter with a stove. What material should I use that I won't need to worry about my shelter going up in flames if an ember happens to hit it?

WoodBow

WKR
Are we talking about a backpacking setup? Silnylon/PU Nylon are pretty standard. An ember will certainly burn a hole in them but they will not burst into flames. I recommend a stove or keeping your campfire downwind.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
Are we talking about a backpacking setup? Silnylon/PU Nylon are pretty standard. An ember will certainly burn a hole in them but they will not burst into flames. I recommend a stove or keeping your campfire downwind.

yep, I'm talking backpacking setup. I was specifically concerned with a stove. I've heard different materials handle embers better than others, I would just hate to put a bunch of work into something and have it go up in flames on the first go. lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
Silnylon isn't going to burst into flames from embers hitting it. Now, if you built a fire outside of a stove in one you could certainly burn your shelter up, but they don't just spontaneously combust from sparks or embers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
I put about a million hours into building my tipi out of PU nylon and i run a stove in it with zero concern. Stove pipe just needs to extend far enough above the roof. Stoves do not tend to throw a lot of embers like a camfire does. Some even have screens in the pipe to help prevent it.

OP
dallas.kc

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
I put about a million hours into building my tipi out of PU nylon and i run a stove in it with zero concern. Stove pipe just needs to extend far enough above the roof. Stoves do not tend to throw a lot of embers like a camfire does. Some even have screens in the pipe to help prevent it.

Any reason you went with PU Over silicone? From what I’ve been reading silicone seems to be better for longevity and strength. What do you think?

WoodBow

WKR
I think any slight advantage that silnylon might have is negated by the fact that it is an absolute pain the butt to work with when sewing. PU nylon is very easy to work with.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Poly doesn't stretch like silnylon does when it gets wet

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk