Shelter setup recommendation.

Yes bugs can be really bad in mid Sept in the N Cascades. But that’s just something I have to deal with. It’s not like I’m going to set up a tent mid day just to escape them.

Windy ridge tops provide some relief but I’m more afraid of lightning than bugs so I typically drop down a bit to camp and just deal with them.

I’d look into a tent of some sort. Tarps work but its a little nicer to have some side walls to help protect against those windy nights. Check out these mini peak tents: https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/minipeak-pyramid-tent-system?variant=2098510069771
Very light and no poles needed aside from a trekking pole. Also have an option for a stove jack if needed during the later seasons. Good luck to you!
I am also from Michigan...thumbs up!
I just checked these out. Looks like a great option. Thanks!

Scrubbuck

FNG
I used the lil bug out with vestibule and medium stove during CO 2nd rifle. I was solo so it was a palace. I used it as a spike camp 3 miles in. I found some point of interest that make me want to go a little deeper/steeper this year so I upgraded my sleeping bag and will always have the DST tarp from SO as well. I’ll only use an enclosed tent from Turkey season thru the summer.

FreeBeer

FNG
Sorry to hi-Jack this but I was curious if anyone has used an aftermarket nest or mosquito net with their lil bug out. I just found a couple on mossejaw that looked decent, and were lighter than the seekoutside nest. Cannot attest to quality yet however. These seem like a good option for a bug screen without sewing your own or buying the full nest. They also over single or two person ones. Im gong to try the sea to summit one, and will provide feedback.

For the small weight difference, I'll take a fully enclosed pyramid or tarptent over a flat tarp every time.

FreeBeer

FNG
Does anyone run the Lil bug out from Seek outside?
I love the customization that you can get with that and would love some feedback on how it performs in the field.

I run it. I really enjoy it. Super light weight packs down super small. I haven’t got a stove yet so I can’t speak for that but works great. I also have the connecting tarp makes it big enough to sleep 4 guys and gear.

I real admit it’s not very fun if your in mosquitos bad. I’m looking into adding a mosquito net. It has the nest option but that adds more weight then I’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Great appreciate the advice. So tarp / bivy is the way to go or do you prefer a tent? With a 10 x 12 and the bivy I'd be near close to tent for a few more ozs. I do however like the tarp so I can use in case of extended downpour during day as well as cowboy camping. Cheers!
Just get a Zpacks duplex and call it good. Don't need a bivy then. Expensive, but light and doesn't sag even if it rains like silnylon does.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I like the bivy + small tarp combo for summer through October. Super versatile and if there’s no chance of rain or snow, I’ll often won’t set up the tarp. For this scenario, I use a water resistant bivy instead of a waterproof bivy. It’s lighter, more breathable and all I need. Since I toss and turn a lot, the bivy sack keeps everything together and if I’m sleeping on a slight slope, I can stake it down to keep me from working my way downhill, which is a constantly problem here in the San Juans.