Shelter setup recommendation.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all. Being a flat lander from Michigan trying to save some weight on my shelter I was hoping for some input from the community. Do y'all think a flat tarp 9x9 or 6x9 with a Borah light bivy would be a good set up? Mid September in east Idaho. I'm up for any suggestions. Cowboy camping in wolf/grizzly territory is not much different vs a tent right, wrong or not advised?

Being from the mitten deer hunting my entire life has made me worrisome of cold and wet so I'm a bit unsure, even though I run hot. Never used a bivy and always been in a 4 season tent or my truck. Too heavy for the mountain!

I plan to test run my setup during archery whitetail this year.

Thanks for any input and as a new member here I have to say you all rock!

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
My personal elk setup is a 12x12 tarp over a hammock but same general idea as a bivi just more comfortable for me. I like sleeping under a tarp better than in a tent simply because when things go bump in the night you can look around lol.

OP
RedSnow

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
My personal elk setup is a 12x12 tarp over a hammock but same general idea as a bivi just more comfortable for me. I like sleeping under a tarp better than in a tent simply because when things go bump in the night you can look around lol.
Ok great! Thanks for reply. I wish I could do hammock but my back doesn't like it. Yeah when things go bump in the night. This year saw a mountain lion in West Michigan. Camping in that area this year in this setup, will be glad to look around. Not that I'd see it coming. Pretty mild compared to Idaho griz/wolf/lion territory. I'll have my 357 handy. Probably piss off a griz more than anything else though.

Mosby

WKR
A tarp/bivy is a good option if you are going to be in steep country. But they aren't for everyone. Kifaru Paratarp, SO DST or a MLD Patrol among others are all nice tarps for solo use. Aron Snyder has a recent equipment video and he uses a Paratarp, Rab bivy, Klymit Inertia and a Slick bag as one of his sleep systems. I am not a bivy guy but I would also look at EE, MLD, Borah and Tigoat bivy's. I personally prefer a tent to a bivy but its always fun to try new stuff and figure out what works for you.

Last edited:

Keats620

FNG
I make a couple different shelters out of a 10x10 tarp using trekking poles. Its always in my pack, even makes a quick easy glassing shelter in a downpour. YouTube is your friend!

Holocene

WKR
Either would work, and I've run both a tent (Zpacks triplex) or hammock (heavy older Eno).

The biggest differences are water and bugs. A tent protects you from rain and bugs. A tarp protects you from rain, but only if you are in a hammock. Then you have to be the kind of person who can sleep in a hammock.

A tarp and hammock can be faster to set up. That's something to think about.

I really agree with Mosby: "Its always fun to try new stuff and figure out what works for you."

Good luck, and good idea to try out your setups at home before you head out West.

OP
RedSnow

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
A tarp/bivy is a good option if you are going to be in steep country. But they aren't for everyone. Kifaru Paratarp, SO DST or a MLD Patrol among others are all nice tarps for solo use. Aron Snyder has a recent equipment video and he uses a Paratarp, Rab bivy, Klymit Inertia and a Slick bag as one of his sleep systems. I am not a bivy guy but I would also look at EE, MLD, Borah and Tigoat bivy's. I personally prefer a tent to a bivy but its always fun to try new stuff and figure out what works for you.
That SO DST looks pretty nice! With a Borah bivy or plain old floorless bug net might do the trick. I'm so used to a tent that I'll just have to give the bivy a try and see if it works. I'm usually dog tired after a hunt so I sleep like a baby.

I make a couple different shelters out of a 10x10 tarp using trekking poles. Its always in my pack, even makes a quick easy glassing shelter in a downpour. YouTube is your friend!
Looks like I'll go to 10x10 instead of 9x9. I also like the flexibility of the tarp for glassing as well as night shelter. Do you usually run a bivy or some kind d of bug shelter? Be or is it non issue where you hunt?

Either would work, and I've run both a tent (Zpacks triplex) or hammock (heavy older Eno).

The biggest differences are water and bugs. A tent protects you from rain and bugs. A tarp protects you from rain, but only if you are in a hammock. Then you have to be the kind of person who can sleep in a hammock.

A tarp and hammock can be faster to set up. That's something to think about.

I really agree with Mosby: "Its always fun to try new stuff and figure out what works for you."

Good luck, and good idea to try out your setups at home before you head out West.

I wish I could run a hammock but my back does not agree! I'll test a few setups during whitetail archery here. It'll be flat land compared to out west at least I'll get away from people for a few days ;) In Michigan I'd like to stay away from bugs (ticks) as best as possible seeing Lyme spread like wildfire here so that'll add another dimension as well. I was thinking a simple no zipper bug net will do the trick in that regard.

I appreciate all of your input and time!

Thejet

WKR
I have ran the tarp and bivy setup as well as the tent, it’s all personal to me. I like to run a tent till it gets too cold and wet then i change to a tipi with stove. Main thing i ran into keeping me out of the tarp is moisture, probably from my own improper venting but that was my main force to go to a tent.

OP
RedSnow

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I have ran the tarp and bivy setup as well as the tent, it’s all personal to me. I like to run a tent till it gets too cold and wet then i change to a tipi with stove. Main thing i ran into keeping me out of the tarp is moisture, probably from my own improper venting but that was my main force to go to a tent.
Seems many people end up liking a tent better in the end. I can see why with all the options. I really envy the tipi with a stove! Seems like Paradise in the cold hiking back that! If you don't mind me asking what tent do you run? Cheers!

Thejet

WKR
Seems many people end up liking a tent better in the end. I can see why with all the options. I really envy the tipi with a stove! Seems like Paradise in the cold hiking back that! If you don't mind me asking what tent do you run? Cheers!
I have been using a big ag one person, but testing a few others this season for 2 and 3 person options like the kuiu star

I’d look into a tent of some sort. Tarps work but its a little nicer to have some side walls to help protect against those windy nights. Check out these mini peak tents: https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/minipeak-pyramid-tent-system?variant=2098510069771
Very light and no poles needed aside from a trekking pole. Also have an option for a stove jack if needed during the later seasons. Good luck to you!
I am also from Michigan...thumbs up!

LostArra

WKR
Next time a big storm rolls thru Michigan set up your tarp and bivy in the backyard and spend the night.
That should answer your questions. Everyone's tolerance of miserable is different.

PlanoDano

FNG
You are good with 9X9. I use 8.5X8.5 and find it more than sufficient. No concern for wolves and practice clean camping in Grizzly country as tarp vs tent does not matter in that regard. I have had cowboy camping conditions most nights. There were some nights with persistent light rain but I have never seen wind driven rain like you see on the plains. Not saying it does not happen, it just hasn't happened to me. Wind seems to blow downhill most nights so take this into account and choose to camp with a terrain feature blocking the downhill wind if possible.

The trekking pole and tarp setup sounds like a great idea. I've been caught by a surprise storm sleeping overnight with a bivy setup without the tarp...

Jimss

WKR
I didn't read through all the posts but would sway you away from a bivy. You will likely end up with a wet sleeping bag from condensation....even in the driest areas. I bought a bivy around 10 years ago and have yet to use it! I think you would be a lot better off with a super light tarp tent or something similar? No bugs or creepy crawlies to deal with....and likely little condensation with the better ventilated tarp tents. I would also venture a guess that a tarp tent may be lighter weight than a tarp plus bivy?

One other suggestion that has worked great for me for super light weight early season hunting is to use the fly off my 4 season Hillieberg tent. The fly used alone is literally bomber=proof! I add painter's plastic for a floor. It's really nice having all the room for me plus all my gear, pack, weapon, etc. If it snows or is rainy I have the rest of the tent plus bathroom tub floor that does well for winter camping. The fly with painters plastic floor weighs around 3 lbs....the heavy edition with everything is around 6-7 lbs depending upon what's used.

I have a 8x10 tarp a paratarp, an Akto & a Nallo3. Mid Sept I’d take the tarp. The two tents require a somewhat large flat spot. Works great if I know where I’m setting up but the tarp is much better when it’s getting dark & you’d like to find a spot now. Any spot where you can set your sleeping pad down on you can also set up a tarp. Also easier to set up away from any established camps and from any spot a bear is likely to wander through.

6BAEE31B-C7F5-4FAB-8885-53DA23B1FD61.jpeg

OP
RedSnow

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Next time a big storm rolls thru Michigan set up your tarp and bivy in the backyard and spend the night.
That should answer your questions. Everyone's tolerance of miserable is different.

Yes I usually find I like semi miserable conditions and my tolerance for them is better than others. Now that being said most of y'all around this site seem to be pretty tough so time will tell to see if I live by you guys standards haha.

I’d look into a tent of some sort. Tarps work but its a little nicer to have some side walls to help protect against those windy nights. Check out these mini peak tents: https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/products/minipeak-pyramid-tent-system?variant=2098510069771
Very light and no poles needed aside from a trekking pole. Also have an option for a stove jack if needed during the later seasons. Good luck to you!
I am also from Michigan...thumbs up!

That tents looks pretty nice. I've been swaying back and forth between a trekking pole tent and a tarp for some time. Something like the Six Moons Lunar Solo or maybe a Dan Durston X-mid tent and a small 6x9 Jimmy Tarp I have for glassing or nights cowboy camping. A member here Recommended the Durston tent recently.

You are good with 9X9. I use 8.5X8.5 and find it more than sufficient. No concern for wolves and practice clean camping in Grizzly country as tarp vs tent does not matter in that regard. I have had cowboy camping conditions most nights. There were some nights with persistent light rain but I have never seen wind driven rain like you see on the plains. Not saying it does not happen, it just hasn't happened to me. Wind seems to blow downhill most nights so take this into account and choose to camp with a terrain feature blocking the downhill wind if possible.

OK great ive got a pretty light 9x9 tarp I hoped to use. Looks like new materials are coming out such as the 6.6 sil poly/nylon that are extremely light and more durable. Tarps (and Tents) should be getting lighter and lighter. I really look forward to cowboy camping out west as well.

The trekking pole and tarp setup sounds like a great idea. I've been caught by a surprise storm sleeping overnight with a bivy setup without the tarp...

Do you just roll with a Bivy and go ultralight then? Or do you not always set up your tarp?

I didn't read through all the posts but would sway you away from a bivy. You will likely end up with a wet sleeping bag from condensation....even in the driest areas. I bought a bivy around 10 years ago and have yet to use it! I think you would be a lot better off with a super light tarp tent or something similar? No bugs or creepy crawlies to deal with....and likely little condensation with the better ventilated tarp tents. I would also venture a guess that a tarp tent may be lighter weight than a tarp plus bivy?

One other suggestion that has worked great for me for super light weight early season hunting is to use the fly off my 4 season Hillieberg tent. The fly used alone is literally bomber=proof! I add painter's plastic for a floor. It's really nice having all the room for me plus all my gear, pack, weapon, etc. If it snows or is rainy I have the rest of the tent plus bathroom tub floor that does well for winter camping. The fly with painters plastic floor weighs around 3 lbs....the heavy edition with everything is around 6-7 lbs depending upon what's used.

Yeah I am still on the fence between tarp/tent. Seems many people go toward tents in the end. The tent is my comfort zone, especially in Michigan with the Lyme infested Ticks. I really like some of the trekking tents i listed above but at the same the double use I would get from a Tarp and well as how light I can go with it is appealing. I also like pushing out of comfort zone and figure Id like the views.

I have a 8x10 tarp a paratarp, an Akto & a Nallo3. Mid Sept I’d take the tarp. The two tents require a somewhat large flat spot. Works great if I know where I’m setting up but the tarp is much better when it’s getting dark & you’d like to find a spot now. Any spot where you can set your sleeping pad down on you can also set up a tarp. Also easier to set up away from any established camps and from any spot a bear is likely to wander through.

View attachment 105428

MId september is the plan for the hunt I have Scheduled. Do you run into bug issues when you tarp/cowboy camp in September? I love the picture! Im sure you get a really good view of the area when you can camp like this.

Thanks everyone for your time/replies and answers to my questions! Good luck hunting out there!
Pat

Does anyone run the Lil bug out from Seek outside?
I love the customization that you can get with that and would love some feedback on how it performs in the field.

OP
RedSnow

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I have not but have been eyeballing some no zipper bug nets like the Sea to Summit that only wieght 3oz!