Shelter/Tent Choice

OP
D

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for the replies, does anyone know what the new version of the Stone Glacier Skyscraper tent is going to be?

Voyageur

WKR
I ran a teepee last season with 1.5 inner and I'm ready to be done with it. Looking currently at more traditional tents. 3 seem to fit my bill and all have similar pricing, within $100 of each other, but I'm interested in any feedback experienced users might have. So here goes the question.

Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2p, Kuiu mountain star 2p, or FL/Nemo Kodiak 2p.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Based on the tents you're looking at I will throw Tarptent into the mix. Great option IMO.

Maybe I missed something, but the Kuiu/SG/FL tents all looked like pretty standard backpacking tents with a hunting brand name thrown on there to appeal to a different crowd. I could be wrong, but I'd be looking at something from the backpacking world if I wanted to go back to an enclosed tent shelter. You can find some great deals on tents through steep and cheap or the other overstock sites.

OP
D

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I missed something, but the Kuiu/SG/FL tents all looked like pretty standard backpacking tents with a hunting brand name thrown on there to appeal to a different crowd. I could be wrong, but I'd be looking at something from the backpacking world if I wanted to go back to an enclosed tent shelter. You can find some great deals on tents through steep and cheap or the other overstock sites.

When I looked at (SG, FL, Kuiu) compared to other standard tents I think the main difference is the they seem to be a touch lighter. The only tent that has a true analog is the FL/Nemo since they are the exact same. I'd agree that I'm not interested in paying $150 more for one less pack weight pound and a name. I do worry about quality though on some other brands as I have had positive experiences with the above brands.

sneaky

"DADDY"
When I looked at (SG, FL, Kuiu) compared to other standard tents I think the main difference is the they seem to be a touch lighter. The only tent that has a true analog is the FL/Nemo since they are the exact same. I'd agree that I'm not interested in paying $150 more for one less pack weight pound and a name. I do worry about quality though on some other brands as I have had positive experiences with the above brands.
SG tents and tarps are just different color versions of Slingfin tents and tarps. The Kuiu tents are clones of the BigSky tents.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep. Hiking brands are where the value is, not hunting brands. I would put your money where there's greater production economies of scale and more testers out there. If you bump up to quality that will suit mountaineers or serious hikers, you'll be in good shape and that's what I try to do.

Center post can be tricky to navigate at night especially with bulky gear on, knocking into that sucker sucks. Set up is never as good as you think you can get it, lots of micro adjusting needed to maximize the space of the inner tent. Weight and space ratio is good so that is a positive. Haven't used the "hot tent" component yet so not getting that advantage of it. Here is the big one for me though. I live in Florida, and have now used the teepee set up both in 10k feet central CO Rockies and here at home. In CO it was hard to find good spots that allow for optimum set ups. In FL I just can't get the wet proofing and bug proofing like I can with a more traditional weatherproof backpacking tent. I'm mostly spiking out with this tent and I'm a bigger guy so I don't mind a little bit of the weight penalty. I'm planning on keeping the teepee but will probably use it at base camp for gear and supplies more that a shelter. Admittedly I could probably use it more and become more comfortable with it after more practice, but the guys I have been spike camping with can be asleep in their 2p tents by the time I get my teepee up and ready. It could be operator error a bit but I'm ready for the simple crisscrossed tent pole design that has been used for so many backpacking tents.

I just picked up a SO 4P tipi and stove specifically for mid-late season basecamp hunts. I have 2 other tents that I use depending on time of the year and hunt situation(s) (base or backcountry). What really sold me on the Tipi was the option to use a stove to quickly generate warmth and ability to dry out gear in cold, snowy, wet conditions. I'll likely pick up a smaller 2P tipi for spiking and backcountry hunts, too. Being able to use a stove is a game changer.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yep. Hiking brands are where the value is, not hunting brands. I would put your money where there's greater production economies of scale and more testers out there. If you bump up to quality that will suit mountaineers or serious hikers, you'll be in good shape and that's what I try to do.
Let's not kid ourselves. Those companies put out some absolute garbage as well... on an economy of scale.

Let's not kid ourselves. Those companies put out some absolute garbage as well... on an economy of scale.

If you find good products that are consistently well reviewed, you'll find them at a significantly better value with the non-hunting companies. No real question there. If I was relying on a product, the mountaineering companies have my trust way more than the hunting ones.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you find good products that are consistently well reviewed, you'll find them at a significantly better value with the non-hunting companies. No real question there. If I was relying on a product, the mountaineering companies have my trust way more than the hunting ones.
Just curious, but why are you so adamantly opposed to supporting the hunting industry? It's like you are going out of your way to NOT support hunting companies.

Just curious, but why are you so adamantly opposed to supporting the hunting industry? It's like you are going out of your way to NOT support hunting companies.

Because their value is crappy based on their lack of economies of scale and knowing they have a captive hunting audience. If they were close in value, I would consider and perhaps lean towards the hunting brand. Also, I don’t think the hunting companies are necessarily the public land saviors that many make them out to be. Not ignoring the fact that they are engaged to some extent in that cause promotion and finding.

Fifty years ago guys just wore Wranglers and didn’t have to have the newest fad hunting clothes.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

move started replacing worn out items with things from non hunting companies as well, a fleece dosen’t work better because it says “kuiu” on it, it does cost 2-3x as much though. I’ve never found any down jackets that are as nice as ones from non hunting specific companies either.

I’m not avoiding hunting companies but I’m over the thrill of it all, I’ve played with all the stuff and there are some things that are worth the $$$ and things you can find that work just as well for a fraction of the kuiu/Sitka cost.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Locus Gear Hapi in DCF. With the A-frame pitch, using two trekking poles, there is no pole to interfere with available space. It is plenty big enough for a 6’ person, actually two 6’ people for that matter, it only weighs 13 oz. before adding stakes, and has a 110” x 80” footprint.
b3948dcbf18edea4c1d70e9eeaed3225.jpg

eaa3f0af14703b5417f930c80d0dbfb6.jpg

55e210a8498d27f1c6cb4cceeee07e48.jpg

0155a313d9d7568caeb124cdd982b76a.jpg

8bb1908eae4ef23eb1521f683cbac823.jpg

9bf74a06e9ebc5024211398255ab6af5.jpg

9d6b62abb19e5a6a45ce2ca1c468f278.jpg

f641ae274c4b09077ca20cb43952e979.jpg

765c2e3fc33a783c81c5e640d8d30ca6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you running for a Bivy?

I have 2 Mountain Hardwear tents that i have used in some really nasty conditions and been happy with their performance. Some of the high-end mountaineering brands can be found at much lower cost that some hunting companies. I understand and appreciate the difference between hunting packs (MR, Kifaru, SG, EXO, etc.) and backpacking packs (Gregory, Deuter, Osprey, etc.) because hunting packs need to be able to carry weight that no backpacker is going to mess with. Same thing with pack design, meat shelf, etc. But I don't see a big difference in say hunting tents vs backpacking tents, or say hunting sleeping bags vs backpacking sleeping bags. It's more about quality of the companies. Both hunting and backpacking markets have great stuff and junk. Comparing Kifaru to Coleman is the same as comparing Mountain Hardwear or Hilleberg to Redhead. Both markets have their high end brands.

As far as reliability i do take the opinions of the hard core mountaineering crowd seriously since any tent that is regularly used on the side of Aconcagua or the south ridge of Denali is going to be fine in the mountains on an elk hunt. We share a lot in common with those guys since they also sit around debating Lowa vs Hanwag boots, MSR stoves, etc. They just prefer bright colors. Just like we share a lot with the birding crowd as far as optics. I like good quality gear wherever it comes from. If the hunting companies can provide a quality tent or sleeping bag that is higher quality that what the backpacking companies offer, then i will buy it. Or at the same quality but a better price. But not if it is virtually the same thing but twice the price. Now if i can only find a tactical water filter in Multi-cam...... LOL

I have 2 Mountain Hardwear tents that i have used in some really nasty conditions and been happy with their performance. Some of the high-end mountaineering brands can be found at much lower cost that some hunting companies. I understand and appreciate the difference between hunting packs (MR, Kifaru, SG, EXO, etc.) and backpacking packs (Gregory, Deuter, Osprey, etc.) because hunting packs need to be able to carry weight that no backpacker is going to mess with. Same thing with pack design, meat shelf, etc. But I don't see a big difference in say hunting tents vs backpacking tents, or say hunting sleeping bags vs backpacking sleeping bags. It's more about quality of the companies. Both hunting and backpacking markets have great stuff and junk. Comparing Kifaru to Coleman is the same as comparing Mountain Hardwear or Hilleberg to Redhead. Both markets have their high end brands.

As far as reliability i do take the opinions of the hard core mountaineering crowd seriously since any tent that is regularly used on the side of Aconcagua or the south ridge of Denali is going to be fine in the mountains on an elk hunt. We share a lot in common with those guys since they also sit around debating Lowa vs Hanwag boots, MSR stoves, etc. They just prefer bright colors. Just like we share a lot with the birding crowd as far as optics. I like good quality gear wherever it comes from. If the hunting companies can provide a quality tent or sleeping bag that is higher quality that what the backpacking companies offer, then i will buy it. Or at the same quality but a better price. But not if it is virtually the same thing but twice the price. Now if i can only find a tactical water filter in Multi-cam...... LOL

Yes!!

xziang

WKR
The MSR Hubba Hubba and the big Agnes rents are worth a look.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest too. I run a MSR HubbaHubba and like it. I also ourchased a Mountainsmith LT to try floorless and working on figuring out a stove for it. BA is very popular and for good reason too. Some people hate REI however they carry BA and MSR and have a greatreturn policy if you don't like it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Because their value is crappy based on their lack of economies of scale and knowing they have a captive hunting audience. If they were close in value, I would consider and perhaps lean towards the hunting brand. Also, I don’t think the hunting companies are necessarily the public land saviors that many make them out to be. Not ignoring the fact that they are engaged to some extent in that cause promotion and finding.

Fifty years ago guys just wore Wranglers and didn’t have to have the newest fad hunting clothes.
The mountaineering companies sure as hell aren't public land saviors that people think they are either. They've had multiple opportunities to support public lands with a self imposed tax on outdoor gear much like Pittman Robertson and Dingell Johnson. They've declined to do so every damn time. They love to think that their $3 parking fees national park passes keep the great outdoors wild. Or they support all of the Center for Biological Diversity types who sure as hell don't have hunting and fishing in mind as "multiple land use" activities. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I have a mix of everything, but I do my research on the company's past donations to make sure I'm not supporting those who are openly against my lifestyle.