Shelter/Tent Choice

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a teepee last season with 1.5 inner and I'm ready to be done with it. Looking currently at more traditional tents. 3 seem to fit my bill and all have similar pricing, within $100 of each other, but I'm interested in any feedback experienced users might have. So here goes the question.

Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2p, Kuiu mountain star 2p, or FL/Nemo Kodiak 2p.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I ran a teepee last season with 1.5 inner and I'm ready to be done with it. Looking currently at more traditional tents. 3 seem to fit my bill and all have similar pricing, within $100 of each other, but I'm interested in any feedback experienced users might have. So here goes the question.

Based on what I've read on the site I'm planning on a Seek Outside 4 man for 2 guys, gear and a stove. What didn't you like about your tipi?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have been researching alternative tents fairly hard recently and have decided that pyramid style tents...the ones that use a single trekking pole...are too inefficient because of the shallow slopes walls. You need nearly 8x8’ areas to get enough room for a 6’ person to lay down without touching the sides. Then the tents that use two trekking poles with steeper walls are usually excessively large and heavy for one person.

To me, it seems like those with a more rectangular shape with poles on or near the end are the way to go...mountain shelter or super tarp styles. I’m looking into a lot of cottage company’s right now like Bear Paw, Yama, and others.

OP
D

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Based on what I've read on the site I'm planning on a Seek Outside 4 man for 2 guys, gear and a stove. What didn't you like about your tipi?

Center post can be tricky to navigate at night especially with bulky gear on, knocking into that sucker sucks. Set up is never as good as you think you can get it, lots of micro adjusting needed to maximize the space of the inner tent. Weight and space ratio is good so that is a positive. Haven't used the "hot tent" component yet so not getting that advantage of it. Here is the big one for me though. I live in Florida, and have now used the teepee set up both in 10k feet central CO Rockies and here at home. In CO it was hard to find good spots that allow for optimum set ups. In FL I just can't get the wet proofing and bug proofing like I can with a more traditional weatherproof backpacking tent. I'm mostly spiking out with this tent and I'm a bigger guy so I don't mind a little bit of the weight penalty. I'm planning on keeping the teepee but will probably use it at base camp for gear and supplies more that a shelter. Admittedly I could probably use it more and become more comfortable with it after more practice, but the guys I have been spike camping with can be asleep in their 2p tents by the time I get my teepee up and ready. It could be operator error a bit but I'm ready for the simple crisscrossed tent pole design that has been used for so many backpacking tents.

Ever thought about a hammock? IMHO you will not find a more comfortable system. On par weight-wise with your tents and I have had my system down to -5* Fahrenheit so far.IMG_20200116_184059~2.jpg

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Center post can be tricky to navigate at night especially with bulky gear on, knocking into that sucker sucks. Set up is never as good as you think you can get it, lots of micro adjusting needed to maximize the space of the inner tent. Weight and space ratio is good so that is a positive. Haven't used the "hot tent" component yet so not getting that advantage of it. Here is the big one for me though. I live in Florida, and have now used the teepee set up both in 10k feet central CO Rockies and here at home. In CO it was hard to find good spots that allow for optimum set ups. In FL I just can't get the wet proofing and bug proofing like I can with a more traditional weatherproof backpacking tent. I'm mostly spiking out with this tent and I'm a bigger guy so I don't mind a little bit of the weight penalty. I'm planning on keeping the teepee but will probably use it at base camp for gear and supplies more that a shelter. Admittedly I could probably use it more and become more comfortable with it after more practice, but the guys I have been spike camping with can be asleep in their 2p tents by the time I get my teepee up and ready. It could be operator error a bit but I'm ready for the simple crisscrossed tent pole design that has been used for so many backpacking tents.
Thanks for the feedback

I have been researching alternative tents fairly hard recently and have decided that pyramid style tents...the ones that use a single trekking pole...are too inefficient because of the shallow slopes walls. You need nearly 8x8’ areas to get enough room for a 6’ person to lay down without touching the sides. Then the tents that use two trekking poles with steeper walls are usually excessively large and heavy for one person.

To me, it seems like those with a more rectangular shape with poles on or near the end are the way to go...mountain shelter or super tarp styles. I’m looking into a lot of cottage company’s right now like Bear Paw, Yama, and others.

Check out the Locus Gear Hapi in DCF. With the A-frame pitch, using two trekking poles, there is no pole to interfere with available space. It is plenty big enough for a 6’ person, actually two 6’ people for that matter, it only weighs 13 oz. before adding stakes, and has a 110” x 80” footprint.
b3948dcbf18edea4c1d70e9eeaed3225.jpg

eaa3f0af14703b5417f930c80d0dbfb6.jpg

55e210a8498d27f1c6cb4cceeee07e48.jpg

0155a313d9d7568caeb124cdd982b76a.jpg

8bb1908eae4ef23eb1521f683cbac823.jpg

9bf74a06e9ebc5024211398255ab6af5.jpg

9d6b62abb19e5a6a45ce2ca1c468f278.jpg

f641ae274c4b09077ca20cb43952e979.jpg

765c2e3fc33a783c81c5e640d8d30ca6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I had a floorless shelter last year. This year I have bought a new tent with a floor. When that wind and rain is blowing above tree line I want my body weight holding that tent down!!

Check out the Locus Gear Hapi in DCF. With the A-frame pitch, using two trekking poles, there is no pole to interfere with available space. It is plenty big enough for a 6’ person, actually two 6’ people for that matter, it only weighs 13 oz. before adding stakes, and has a 110” x 80” footprint.

I have seen those, but they’re a bit expensive for me. I think just the sil one is $330 based on the current exchange rate.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
After spending about 20 years in a standard 2 person tent like you are looking at I switched to a two person tent with a vestibule. It’s fantastic to have that extra space for storing gear and then you have the whole tent for your sleep system. It’s also a good little hang out spot when weather takes a crap on you

I string up an extra tarp parallel to the vestibule and give myself and 2 or 3 guys a really nice space to hang out and play cards of read books while weather passes.

I use the Hilleberg Nallo GT 2. Best tent I’ve ever owned by far.

sneaky

"DADDY"
b3948dcbf18edea4c1d70e9eeaed3225.jpg

eaa3f0af14703b5417f930c80d0dbfb6.jpg

55e210a8498d27f1c6cb4cceeee07e48.jpg

0155a313d9d7568caeb124cdd982b76a.jpg

8bb1908eae4ef23eb1521f683cbac823.jpg

9bf74a06e9ebc5024211398255ab6af5.jpg

9d6b62abb19e5a6a45ce2ca1c468f278.jpg

f641ae274c4b09077ca20cb43952e979.jpg

765c2e3fc33a783c81c5e640d8d30ca6.jpg

Everything looks good til you get to the top and that "they kinda both fit" pocket for the trekking pole handles. That looks almost like an afterthought to an otherwise cool looking setup

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’d also recommend carrying a small microfiber towel for wiping down condensation periodically if that becomes an issue. Those towels dry off in minutes by the fire and are absolutely clutch in my opinion. They also work well for drying yourself off if you end up dipping in a lake or stream after a long stay and lots of hiking.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Might as well look at BigSky tents since those are the ones the Kuiu tent is modeled after. At least they offer different sizes and color options, no different than SlingFin who is the designer of the SG tents.

I’d also recommend carrying a small microfiber towel for wiping down condensation periodically if that becomes an issue. Those towels dry off in minutes by the fire and are absolutely clutch in my opinion. They also work well for drying yourself off if you end up dipping in a lake or stream after a long stay and lots of hiking.

I’m definitely going to steal that. At least in the morning so it won’t be as wet when I pack it.

Everything looks good til you get to the top and that "they kinda both fit" pocket for the trekking pole handles. That looks almost like an afterthought to an otherwise cool looking setup

It’s actually made to have the tips of the poles up into the apex. I prefer to have it the other way because I don’t like my cork handles in the dirt/ground. LG actually makes a system that has an upside down V trekking pole extension, that your poles fit into and then that goes into the apex, then on the other end there’s a long adjustable cord, with a pocket and Velcro at each end that hold the handles of the poles. The cord runs across the ground, between the pole handles and keeps the poles from potentially sipping out and further apart. I had that system at one time, but quickly decided that it wasn’t for me. It added several more ounces, parts, and complexity to the setup coupled with the fact that I didn’t like having a cord running across the center of the shelter. With the handles up and pole extensions in the dirt, there’s no way the tips will spread out and cause the shelter to come down, and although the apex was not necessarily made for two thick handles, it works, and it’s as stable as it can be.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It’s actually made to have the tips of the poles up into the apex. I prefer to have it the other way because I don’t like my cork handles in the dirt/ground. LG actually makes a system that has an upside down V trekking pole extension, that your poles fit into and then that goes into the apex, then on the other end there’s a long adjustable cord, with a pocket and Velcro at each end that hold the handles of the poles. The cord runs across the ground, between the pole handles and keeps the poles from potentially sipping out and further apart. I had that system at one time, but quickly decided that it wasn’t for me. It added several more ounces, parts, and complexity to the setup coupled with the fact that I didn’t like having a cord running across the center of the shelter. With the handles up and pole extensions in the dirt, there’s no way the tips will spread out and cause the shelter to come down, and although the apex was not necessarily made for two thick handles, it works, and it’s as stable as it can be.

That's an easy work around. Fab a couple of small pockets for the handles with a little tab and grommet you can anchor with a shepherd's hook and you don't have to worry about dirt or slipping. Wouldn't weigh more than a couple ounces.

If you are looking at the Stone Glacier then you should also look at the Mountainsmith Shelter LT. Basically the same tent but comes with the vestibule included for less money.

That's an easy work around. Fab a couple of small pockets for the handles with a little tab and grommet you can anchor with a shepherd's hook and you don't have to worry about dirt or slipping. Wouldn't weigh more than a couple ounces.

Absolutely you could, but I haven’t had any slipping issues with the handles up, so I don’t really see a need. I like to try and keep things as simple (and light), as possible, with few moving/extra parts, so to speak. That said, if I could come up with a way to eliminate the two trekking pole extensions, that are required for the A-frame pitch, I’d do that as well. A pair of quality trekking poles, with each section only being a couple inches longer than standard, would probably be the ticket, and would add very little wt. (like less than a couple oz.), to the poles/system.

What hammock are you running here? Looks insulated..
DIY 12' long 8' wide Gathered End hammock. I make all of my own gear except down insulation. I have a synthetic quilt I made that should be good down to -10*.
This set up for my hammock is Ice blue is 1.3 MNT fabric for the body and black is 1.7 MNT is for the border. Super wide so it wraps over the UQ for wind blocking and do wide for side sleeping. This hammock has whipped ends instead of a sewn channel.
Insulations is a 0* Zeppelin from Underground Quilts UGQ.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk