Shelter upgrade

Beastmode

WKR
I am I need of a new shelter(s) this year. My family is getting older and the copper spur ul4 is a little to small. I do not need a floor less shelter but i am considering one. I amconsidering the following ideas.

Kifaru 8 man
Seek outside 8 man
Lbo base tarp base
Adding a smaller 3 season tent with large vestibule

I have a feeling the LBO is a little small for my needs. I have a 13 year old daughter (who is fine with her own shelter if need be, close by), 5 year old boy, wife, myself and 2 dogs (lab and terrier) I need a fairly large floor less area for the dogs. A stove would be great but definitely not a must. The half nest option in the SO 8 man is very appealing to my wife. I am also going to use this shelter for later season hunts October/November.

I am leaning towards an 8 man tipi due to it having enough room and not having to deal with a floor. The only issue is the weight. From the research I have done a liner is a must for condensation issues.

I'm sure there aren't too many people who have both but for those who have used the SO, how is the quality? I own lots of Kifaru gear but I have not been around and SO stuff. I like the tie off points on the SO a couple ft off the ground to pull the walls out a little. I am looking forward to hearing thoughts from you guys. Thanks

The tipis might fit the bill but get a size that is twice what the stated occupancy is. For 3 people get a 6 man tipi. lotsa ways to set em up including with nests or nets or floorless with stove. Kinda depends on where you will be camping and when.

rayporter

WKR
thats a lot to pack into an 8 man. unless the kids stay in their own, you will want a bigger shelter. build a similar foot print with a post or pole and stretch string or sheets out to see how much space is available. dont forget to mark off a space for the stove.

Last edited:

LaGriz

WKR
Beastmode,
They have a used 8-man Tipi listed on the Kifaru site with a stove at a resonable price. Good luck with your choice.

LaGriz

Mike7

WKR
Take a look at the Pyramid shelters as well. They will no doubt not be as good in high winds or probably even in snow as a Kifaru tipi, but will handle mild to moderate winds, can be used with a stove, have better ventillation, are a little easier to pitch than tipis in my opinion, and have an excellent wt to useable space ratio.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just me, and granted some bias but
I have slept a family of four in an 8 man, with stove and a couple dogs , it is fine for us. We have done the same in a 6 and it is a little tighter. Packing is not real bad, if you had a UL with a half nest it is still under 10 lbs with the half nest as long as you don't add screens
I have also done family of 4 and stove in LBO Base Tarp Base. Not with dogs, but with a stove. Not bad, but I usually store some gear outside when 4 are in the LBO BTB. LBO with two nests , using trekking poles and extenders and you are looking at 6 ish lbs (with the nests).

You will find the half nest of the 8 much more comfy. It does expand room a fair amount, as long as you have a good / usable pitch on flat ground. By that I mean, pitching on something really sloped does not really reduce tipi volume, but reduces comfortable sleeping options. The nest, really allows 4 to sleep in one half nest pretty well, certainly no worse than a lot of tents.

Lawnboi

WKR
Just my opinion but I'd go big, if I'm going to hump the weight I want to be able to stand up.
IMO the 6 man tipi with a stove is more of a 2 man shelter when you start adding wood and gear in there. 3 guys would be a pinching it.

No experience with any of the others, but I thought I'd throw in my opinion on the 6 man tipi.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd go 8 man for sure if packing in a family.

That said for those sorts of trips I take my 5 pound GoLite SL-8 that is 9.5'X19' palace. Love that thing for the space to weight it provides! Sure not as bomber in the wind but it sure is nice for the weight and I use it more than I thought I would.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

WKR
So after more review I am set on an 8 man. Now the tough call of going with SO or kifaru? After reading quite a few threads the SO is a very high quality product just like kifaru.