Shelter/woodstove combo - What are you running?

Davebuech

WKR
On another post I asked for recommendations for a stove for my new Sawtooth. I got a lot of great replies and many of the stove sizes recommended were very different.

Started me thinking about different sized shelters/stove combos and what it takes to heat em up. How quickly they heat and if it gets too warm, too cold or just right.

So, what shelter and stove combo are you running and hows it working? Ever want a larger or smaller stove?

Tsnider

WKR
SO medium. can heat the shelter in about 5 minutes, about 10 minutes until its too hot. it has really good control on the stove, so once you get the hang of it you can dial it down to just right in most situations. i used the stove and sawtooth in February in colorado camping with my buddy surrounded by about a foot of snow. we were down to tshirts in no time.

the sxl is supposed to be nice for bigger wood size but for archery i didnt think a bigger, little heavier stove was needed. and now im perfectly content with it.

whitingja

WKR
I'm running the Sawtooth with the Seek Outside SXL stove. Seems like a great combo. Heats it up quickly and keeps it warm for a reasonable amount of time. Could probably go with a bigger shelter if needed with that stove.

Brado16

WKR
8 Person SO Tipi and SO XL Ti Stove. Have only used it once so far and really liked it. Used in late Oct in CO last year above 10,000' in snow. Had to deal with condensation everynight- even with the stove stoked, we could not avoid the condensation- we had to wipe down the inside with a travel towel constantly. Thinking about a liner for this year. Would not have wanted a stove any smaller than this.

SO 8 man tipi with SO SXL stove, and half liner.

Love this set up, wouldn't change a thing. 12 lbs true weight for the tipi, half liner, SXL stove, carbon fiber pole, all pegs and guy out lines.

bbrown

WKR
SO Cimmaron with a DIY cylinder stove that uses 8" end plates and 12" body foil or a Kifaru 8 man with a DIY cylinder stove that uses 10" end plates and 18" body foil.

Back country television at its finest with the added benefit of warmth. You can temper the heat output some with the intake air flow and damper but honestly they are more like light switch - either on or off.

Megatarp with an 18" cylinder stove. Like others have said it will heat up the tarp pretty quick and would be enough keep a Sawtooth warm as well.

mlob1one

WKR
SO LBO w/3pc vestibule (&sometimes with the tarp in between) & 18" cylinder stove.
Heats up the shelter very quickly and can easily increase temp 30 degrees. When I run my stove I typically leave gaps between the ground and shelter because I get so hot. Great for drying out gear too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

SO 8 man, half liner, and XL stove from SO.

I think it is about perfect. The stove doesn't radiate heat well or burn for a long time, but as mentioned above, it will heat the shelter in about 5 minutes. I like the flat surface of the stove, it lets me start a fire in the morning with a couple of tin cups of water on it. By the time it is warm enough to get out of the sleeping bag, I have hot water for tea or coffee.

Msr Twin brothers with homemade stove
094bff132db6826bc6bbd686a14fad01.png
98afc8fd51153a84f6ea481ec9573fbc.jpg

I run the Seek Outside Redcliffe and the Lite outdoors 18" Titanium stove- perfect set up for early to Oct hunts. I hunt solo and maybe another person so it is perfect for 2 people. My 2 grandkids and I slept in already in Feb here in Utah. Cold out side but we were warm inside, but I had to stock the stove every hour.

oldgoat

WKR
I started with a sawtooth and Kifaru Medium Box stove, didn't hardly burn the stove, was too much work keep it going, should of tried larger wood in hindsight, that was my very first experience with packable stoves and it was a steep learning curve, as soon elk season was over I researched stoves more and bought an 18" Smith Cylinder and it was awesome to use, helped that had a ton of prefect wood right by camp, used it quite bit last season. It's half the weight of the box stove!

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a SO SilverTip for solo trips. Soon to buy a LO 12"/18" combo w/ baffles. Will most likely use 12" for the SilverTip and will buy a Kifaru Tut in the future for when a partner tags along. Will be using the 18" with that setup.

No firsthand experience, yet.