Shelters

I will be using the Kifaru supertarp for solo hunt/backpack. For hunts close to the truck i will be using the Kifaru 8 man.

Put the annex on the supertarp and you got a 4 season shelter!
DSC_2825.jpg

DSC_3954.jpg

DSC_4252.jpg

DSC_2890.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nice looking setup Justin!! I just picked up the 12 man tipi for Kifaru for all my wheeler, boat, and airplane drop off hunts. Should be a palace and still weigh at less than my Cabelas Guide Model 6 man even with a Large Kifaru stove to put inside of the beast of a tipi. You pretty happy with your 8 man I take it?

cmeier117

WKR
Justin-

Everytime I see your Supertarp pics I want to pull the trigger! Nice looking shelter. How is it compared to the 8 man or sawtooth in Highwind/Snow?

shanevg

WKR
I use the REI Half Dome. It's a great, inexpensive tent and if you hunt with a partner (which I pretty much always do) and split the weight, your half will be almost as light as any bivy.

Nice looking setup Justin!! I just picked up the 12 man tipi for Kifaru for all my wheeler, boat, and airplane drop off hunts. Should be a palace and still weigh at less than my Cabelas Guide Model 6 man even with a Large Kifaru stove to put inside of the beast of a tipi. You pretty happy with your 8 man I take it?

Nice! Yea I am happy with my 8 man. I had a 6 man at one point, now an 8 man. Someday I want a 12 or 16 man for serious base camp action. I would get the artic stove in your 12. You will be living the good life in the 12 man!

"Everytime I see your Supertarp pics I want to pull the trigger! Nice looking shelter. How is it compared to the 8 man or sawtooth in Highwind/Snow?"

The supertarp has preformed well for me over the years. Truely a neat shelter because of its weigh. I would put the nod towards the tipis for high wind and snow thou. But the supertarp is a heck of a shelter.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
MSR Hubba works for me until I decide which Kifaru setup to go with in a couple of years.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am debating GoLite Shangrila vs. Nemo Pentalite as a roomier replacement for the Hubba Hubba without a weight penalty. Any opinions?

6x6

FNG
As usual. The Kifaru Supertarp for me. When it's cold, I just throw my stove together. With a stove and all that room in the tarp, it makes it nice!

dotman

WKR
Justin-

Everytime I see your Supertarp pics I want to pull the trigger! Nice looking shelter. How is it compared to the 8 man or sawtooth in Highwind/Snow?

I finally had a chance to set mine up, you will be amazed at all the room this thing has. No problem laying in between the poles. I am glad i went with the supertarp/annex. I tried to post some pics but the upload feature is not phone friendly.

All i can say is you would not regret a supertarp.

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
TarpTent Rainshadow2. Pretty light shelter for two guys. Not to mention it has a tub floor and bug netting.