Shelters

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm getting a lot of PM's about tents/shelters, so I want to ask everyone what they are running this season for backpack and bivy hunts.

I think it's better for everyone to get a well rounded idea instead of just my opinion on this.

I normally change each year and try to run the same thing for the entire season. Doing this gives me time in the shelter in just about every condition and I can reflect back to other years and give people a good idea of what they may need.

This season I'm going to run a Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy with a Kifaru Paratarp. I'll be using this from May-October and will post photos as time goes on.

Lets hear what you guys are using and what has worked in the past....and hasn't.

dotman

WKR
In the past i used a 1man eureka solitare tent, this year will be a kifaru supertarp.

Currently using a Tarptent Moment, but a partner has raised concerns under how it will hold up to tough weather (heavy rain, snow, etc..).

Do you guys think your setups will allow you to hunt in 3.5/4 seasons? Keep knocking the snow off every morning?

dotman

WKR
I fully believe the supertarp will take 4 seasons, just add a stove.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I won't have any issue staying warm inside the Bivy during any season, but when I get out of the Bivy it could be a little rough:)

Keep in mind I'll be hunting/camping at altitudes exceeding 13,000 feet, so my situation my be different then yours.

I'm using the Bivy/Paratarp set up for its versatility and weight as much as anything.

I know Rossinbag has used as many shelters as I have in the past, so hopefully he will chime in.

I would agree that the TT Moment isn't the most bombproof option.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
last 4 or 5 years was a MSR Hubba. this year supertarp or sawtooth.

JSonn

FNG
I use a Hilleberg Soulo- it's free standing and bombproof in all conditions. Plus I can take out the inner shell during summer months or add a bug net. I have not been sold on the idea of bivy/tarp/stove- although it looks nice to have fire/warmth in the shelter.

My current tent is a Big Agnes Seedhouse 3. Very roomy, and can be used with just the fly and footprint for real lightweight. Also have a Kelty Noah Tarp that I can put up over the whole camp to keep the rain off during those early season, high elevation, backcountry hunts.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I use the REI Half Dome 2HC in bad weather, and rock an OR bivy with a 8x10 sil tarp the rest of the time.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'll either be using my GoLite SL-5 that I have used almost exclusively the past 2 years, or I will be trying out a Seek Outside BCS. I also hope to add a Hilleberg Jannu to my collection for winter backpack/skiing excursions, but we'll see. Got other toys to buy as well.

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
I used a Big Agnes SL2 for 2 seasons in CO. Really good shelter IMO. But, it can be claustrophobic. I used a Golite SL-5 last year. Liked the room, especially being able to stand up to dress. But didn't have any weather to speak of. Some rain, some wind, but nothing that would test it. I'll be using it again this year, unless I can squeeze in a Kifaru Sawtooth and stove.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Trevore, I had used my SL-5 in all kinds of weather and it does great. Granted haven't had in in 50+ mph winds, but it handles snow, sleet, rain, and 30+ mph winds great. I try to setup in a protected spot no matter what I choose to camp in so it likely will never see much in the way of winds over 30 MPH.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have used a bunch of shelters, myself. Always looking for the holy grail I guess.

For the past two seasons my preferred solo shelter is a tarptent Contrail. It weighs about a pound and a half, and takes up very little pack space. It moves a bit in the wind, but holds steady. It also took on about 6 inches of heavy snow once, and the walls were sagging in on that one. One night I saw probably 40mph gusts in it, and it didn't come down on me.

When going with a partner, I still split up my old Hubba Hubba, and it is a very comfortable shelter and surprisingly sturdy, but kind of heavy.

Late season sees my partners and I on horseback, mostly, so it is a nice warm wall tent for us. I don't do too much truly late season bivy stuff, myself, but I did set up the contrail on a foot of snow once, and it worked pretty well for that trip, too.

trevore

Lil-Rokslider
@Luke, I've seen some posts in other forums that I believe to be yours. Your reviews of it helped me make my mind up on it. I'm not sweating it. Just don't want to testify to something I haven't experienced yet.

Did you post a video up from Kodiak with Stid in a sawtooth?