Sherman Pocket & 44 Mag

pc3

WKR
I got my 44 mag yesterday...I love it, gee it is well made, so much lighter than my old GS2 and more capable. It does seem like ill have to wear it a bit and get it fitted. It seems I cant pull the load lifters tight enough and I think I may have ordered the shoulder straps a tiny bit large perhaps...although with a jacket on etc. it would be fine.

I get a "sense" just through initial playing around that it is more capable than any pack I've ever owned before. The 44 mag isn't too large either...could it be just a large day pack when you need it to be ? I think so !

Also I got a better sense of how "stuff" adds up weight wise....put a spotter, tripod, sleeping bag and a couple of towels, along with my sons bino's in the top pouch to see what it feels like in a decent pack......wow things add up quickly ! Its been car based hunts with a camp/hut for me so when I finally get to do a back pack hunt I now realize what many of you are getting at on here.

It seems there a few ways to attach the sherman pocket to the 44 mag....but is there a "recommended best way" to attach it ? or what is everyone else doing ?

Ive only connected it to 4 points the k clips at the mid point tabs of the pack (as described as what there for on the 44) and then at the top, but the pic on Kifaru's website a wolf grey 44 has it connected by six points....I note I have two spare connection points left on my sherman

scp

Lil-Rokslider
I use six k-clips to secure the Sherman on the front. I found that if you use just four the thing can ride awkwardly as the main bag begins to get full.

Reactions: pc3
OP
P

pc3

WKR
I use six k-clips to secure the Sherman on the front. I found that if you use just four the thing can ride awkwardly as the main bag begins to get full.

If you have a pic handy of which points on the bag you connect to that would be greatly appreciated. No probs if you don't.

Cheers pc3

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. Give me a few and I’ll take a pic. You’ll also notice when it’s posted that I clip them beneath the Sherman so that they keep the Sherman tight and remain out of sight. Picture forthcoming once the Family is awake.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Here are two picks, and a small correction. I actually use 8x k-clips to mount the Sherman. The first pick is a front on picture of the back of the bag so that you can note how clean the Sherman sits on the back face of the 44. The second pick is how I’ve mounted the Sherman via 4x clips on each side. Yeah, it’s a few extra ounces, but it sits cleanly and keeps the Sherman tight to the bag when main bag and/or Sherman are full. Note: I also run a large belt pocket beneath the Sherman. My kill kit, game bags, ground tarp and possibles pouch all fit there and it makes for easy access.
14819065e305604024c1b5b5e00c73c3.jpg

00c39a38965778645d1bf414011242e5.jpg

OP
P

pc3

WKR
I like that and will do the same. I'm going to buy some more k clips. Thank you.

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
One of the initial prototypes of the Sherman pocket was made to "lace" onto the molle field using 550 cord and the tabs sewn into the sides. If you leave some extra cord with cord locks on either end you can float the pocket away from the pack for storing lighter weight stuff like an extra layer or rain gear. Just sayin'

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
I rigged mine using 1 pair of the straps as an attachment to the top of the 44 mag and 2 buckles on the bottom . that way I can do 2 things. 1, sinch it tight to the pack or float it out a little like a grab it . 2. I can detach it and use the straps on the top with bucles to connect to the bottom clips , and bam! the Sherman is a small approach or essentials pack.

LionHead

WKR
I rigged mine using 1 pair of the straps as an attachment to the top of the 44 mag and 2 buckles on the bottom . that way I can do 2 things. 1, sinch it tight to the pack or float it out a little like a grab it . 2. I can detach it and use the straps on the top with bucles to connect to the bottom clips , and bam! the Sherman is a small approach or essentials pack.
I'd like to see that if you have a pic

I've bee Wondering about this exact application.

Also would this attached "grab-it" mode be agood candidate for bow storage?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
I hope you can see what I was describing . I used the straps and went right to the frame loops. it makes it really stable for putting anything between the sherman and bag. Its easy to remove and use stand alone . And if i need to strap anything to the bag like a head and cape . I have an extra set of straps to use . Ad well as the meat shelf . I also used an extra clip right in the center . For quick clip and go. I think its a really versatile way for many different options. i think even bender would be proud .

scp

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the same setup initially as you described—buckled on bottom at two points with two compression straps on top. I am more of a set-it and forget-it type, I guess, because I just didn’t dig tightening and loosening the top compression straps as the main bag filled up or was emptied. I also didn’t like another set of straps over the main bag zipper access. That’s just me though. I’m contemplating actually just sewing on the Sherman.

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
SCP - Sewing the Sherman to the bottom of the bag creates a hinge effect where the usable space at the bottom is pretty minimal, especially when the pocket is full. If you are looking to put anything too sizable behind the pocket the bottom being able to move away from the pack is useful. Some of the first uses of that pocket where sewn along the bottom front of packs and it was kinda limiting.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Bender—good to know, and thanks for engaging on this topic and others. Always cool when a pack designer joins in. I’m not looking to place anything behind the Sherman. I love it just as a static pocket (hence how I’ve mounted it with 8x Kclips). I also run a Grab It that I roll up and stow between the bag and frame that serves as my bow holder. I’m really just looking to add external pockets to the back of the 44, which is why I contemplated just sewing the Sherman on. Your point (and experience) is well taken. I’m perfectly good with k-clips.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
I love kifaru for several reasons. But 1 huge reason is the modular portion . If you know what youre doing and how to load a pack. You can turn a 2000 inch pack into a 6000 pack and vice versa and use the pockets and attachments all across the line

LionHead

WKR
So I'm about 2 seconds away from cutting the lower compress straps off and adding K-clip straps so all the buckles are oriented the same way ( I dislike getting to the buckles at the frame) I know a few have done this.

If so would the Sherman attached at 6 points work well as a removable compression pocket or would you still need a dedicated compression around the bag only

Thanks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
One of the initial prototypes of the Sherman pocket was made to "lace" onto the molle field using 550 cord and the tabs sewn into the sides. If you leave some extra cord with cord locks on either end you can float the pocket away from the pack for storing lighter weight stuff like an extra layer or rain gear. Just sayin'

Just tried playing around with that type of setup using shock cord and it works pretty well for sure. Thanks for the idea!

C3F35C7A-74B2-43E3-8290-EA77B0CED6A4.jpegF45066EF-04C2-48AE-82F8-054D04D56383.jpeg98D6825C-51D9-47C1-B617-96323739BF54.jpeg

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
Can I use a sherman pocket on the 44mag to hold my bow while hiking? If so, does anyone have a photo?

Marble

WKR
Can I use a sherman pocket on the 44mag to hold my bow while hiking? If so, does anyone have a photo?
I haven't done it yet, but mine is attached and I'll give it a shot in the morning.

I really like the 550 cord to attach it. It maybe what I end up doing.