Shield cut vs Parabolic

chasewild

WKR
Right now I’m shooting some Flex fletch SK 200 vanes. They are shooting great. Gonna compare to the flash vane. Same exact vane except parabolic. They should be quieter. I would guess they preform the same being so close vane wise.

Here’s a pic of a group I shot with the sk 200’s at 100 yards. Probably my best group at 100 I’ve ever shot

That's an ulmer group.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I've used both and prefer the shield cut just based on looks. Shield cut feathers can be louder when new but after a few shots they soften up just a bit and then I notice no difference.

OP
justin davis
Had a family member listen the other day They said the parabolic were much quieter. So far have to see if there is any accuracy difference between the two. Which I don’t think there is

Just tested this out to see how much louder they are(Directional mic and decibel meter app). Both were Q2i with same thickness, material, height, 4 fletch config. Shield 2.75”, Parabolics 2.5”. The shield ended up 3.3 decibels louder than the parabolics. Shields 79.9. Parabolics 76.6. Both fall in the db range of normal conversation.

Wondering where other people setups are?

I bet a slower setup like mine 265fps is quieter than a faster. I also think if I switched to a 3 fletch it would be quieter. I’ve tested a 6 fletch setup and they were wayyy way louder.

Here’s what it comes down to though. I put on my Ironwill S100 to see how much a difference this makes. Was averaging 82db with both. This is the volume of noise going down the highway inside a car. Then I put on my mechanicals. Rage NC 100, 87.6db (loud singing).

If your broadheads aren’t quieter than your vanes then sound should not be something to consider in vane choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: