Shilen Prethreaded and Chambered Barrels

jmav58

WKR
I was wondering if any of you guys have used the Shilen prefit barrels before? I'd be replacing a barrel on an older (1993 model) Remington 700 30-06 rifle. I did a couple quick Google searches and used the search function on here, but didn't seem to find a whole lot of information. Thanks in advance for any information and opinions.

OP
J

jmav58

WKR
They are short chambered unless something has changed so you will need a finish reamer, lathe and gauges. Or a ‘smith...

I was planning on taking it to a smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a shilen select match on a savage action about 6yrs ago. Just one hole with 105gr bergers(6mm BR).
Cant remember the specifics on CBTO, but honestly dont remember the short chamber issue.
Have same barrel on a 338 rum that i recently picked up and that one shoots .5moa with multiple bullets and powders. Very pleased with my small test sample. That one may have gone through a smith though. Has a wyatts box on it that i fill right up, so no short chamber there.
You could say im a fan.

I was planning on taking it to a smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you plan on taking it to a smith i would just purchase a barrel blank and let the smith thread and chamber it himself.
If you don’t want to use a gunsmith you can go the barrel nut route and order a prefit from any number of companies.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Shilen prefit 308 barrel at the smith getting fitted to a Rem 700 action at the moment. This is my first rebarrel so I am looking forward to the results.