Shim Processes

ndbuck09

WKR
What is your process for shimming when working on a binary type cam with no yokes? I have shimmed my elite but I had a very cumbersome time with it and am curious if anyone has any tips tricks on how they do it? Basically dealing with getting the axle pine back through the limbs, the shims, the cam hole, shims on the other side and then out the other limb. It was an ordeal with shims misaligning, falling all over, and the axle pin not going in due to things not staying aligned while pushing the pin through.

When I changed the top hats on my Mathews I had to make slight adjustment to the arms on my easy green press that compress the limbs. You need to make the adjustments before the axle is removed or it will be difficult. I could tell when I had equal times pressure on each side of the split limbs because the pin came out very easy. Once out I had my son hold the cam and keep the pieces together while I swapped top hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
My Process on every shim project goes like so:

Bad Paper tear
Bad POI from fixed blades
Rest adjustment
Check Bareshaft through paper (This is my litmus test, if It shoots bulletholes then my broadheads always tune)
Still bad paper tear
Puts bow in press
Shoots E Clip across the room
Pushes out axle
Cable Side shim falls to the floor behind pointless cabinets
Retrieves and measures shim thickness
Finds a shim that is .010" thicker to replace cable side
Finds shim that is .010" thinner to replace on string side
Drops shims
Remeasures and attempts to install
Puts everything back together
Finds Eclip behind Gunsafe
Shoots through paper,
Wash Rinse Repeat

In all seriousness, if you avoid my smartass comments that is my process. I used to start with .005 but if my tear is bad enough that the rest doesn't clean it up then I Start with .010 to give myself some lateral adjustment with the rest. I don't shim my Open setups, I only shim my hunting bows for the sole purpose of broadhead flight. The nonsense associated with shimming binary cams makes me question why I continue to shoot them. But once they're tuned they are a fine piece of equipment.

Trial153

WKR
It's very rare that I have to re shim a bow. So it's a one time job for me.

With that in mind I take the bow all the way down. By doing so it makes pulling the axels shining and replacing everything way easier.