Shipping a couple steaks

chindits

WKR
How do you all ship just a couple steaks across the country to Dad. I’m rural so I don’t have fancy shipping boxes around here nor am I sure they are worth the money for just a couple ek steaks. They don’t have to be frozen when they get there just refrigerator cold.

I was playing with the idea of using spray foam insulation around the frozen meat and gel packs.

OP
C

chindits

WKR
Yes that would be inside a flat rate shipping box or something. I’m not talking about putting a couple stamps on a big wad of foam.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Get some Styrofoam sheets and cut them the size of our shipping box. I would go two sheets thick all the way around the steaks. Pack all the steaks in and fill any voids with either packing peanuts or newspaper or whatever insulating material available. Then check who you plan to ship with and see if they allow dry ice, if so use it. Ship out overnight first thing in the morning with the streak completely frozen with fresh dry ice on top. Depending on the weight, it will run you $100+ to ship something overnight + perishable, but if its for your dad its worth it I'd say.

I send a friend a care package back in December of duck breasts, elk steaks, jerky, sausage, etc. and used the Styrofoam sheet method along with the insulation sheets that came with one of those complete meal packages for the voids along with three ice packs. He received the package the next day and the ice packs were still half way frozen along with all the meat still frozen. It ran me $120

OP
C

chindits

WKR
I thought they couldn’t fly dry ice for some reason and that’s why I was looking at gel packs. Your shipping costs make 2 day flat rate a real bargain.

gumbl3

WKR
My wife used to order that Hello Fresh stuff, it came in a box lined with something like attic radiant barrier and some frozen ice packs.