Shipping a gun to yourself

McCoppin

FNG
Anyone know the process of shipping a long gun to your home if purchased in another state (military on leave in resident state).

I’m military stationed in Hawaii and right now it’s pretty much impossible to purchase a gun as they are doing it by appt. only and are booked for over 90 days.

I plan to go home soon for a little bit and was wondering about the legality of purchasing a gun there (SC) and just mailing it to my house in Hawaii then registering it once it arrived?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checking it a baggage is easiest especially if military you should get free checked bags on most airlines.

mailing it is easy as well just costs money. Post Office will cost $50 since it has to go priority and must be signed for ( any adult signature)

FedEx or UPS May be cheaper

Michael54

WKR
Yea just buy it and check it and bring it back with you. If you are shipping it to yourself you may have to send it in parts in a few different packages. I know the new yorkers have been doing it with their ar's and other state regulated things that they purchase in pa.

Check with local dealer. Can just FFL transfer it and pick it up in Hawaii

def90

WKR
I know Hawaii has a lot of firearms restrictions, just make sure what you are sending to yourself is legal there in the first place. Otherwise, pack it up in a non descript box to prevent theft along the way, go on ups.com and create your own shipping label, put label on box and drop off at your local UPS Hub, not a UPS Store they are a separate entity and will not accept firearms for shipment.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
If you already have a 4473 in your name would not seem to be an issue to me.

cnelk

WKR
You could ship it to yourself using USPS General Delivery to the nearest Post Office you live. They will hold it for 30 days and all you do is go there, show ID, sign and leave. No declaration of a firearm needed.

The best way is to disassemble the firearm to reduce size. When asked the contents, say 'Gun Parts'. Done.

ODB

WKR
If you already have a 4473 in your name would not seem to be an issue to me.
A 4473 is irrelevant to shipping a rifle you already own to yourself. The 4473 never leaves the gun shop and is not on file with NICS

OP
McCoppin

McCoppin

FNG
Flying with it wouldn’t be an option unfortunately.

OP
McCoppin

McCoppin

FNG
If I have a permit to acquire (required in Hawaii) and have a family member purchase a gun and ship it to the local FFL is that legal? Or could I just have them send it to me and I fill out the required paperwork?

I’m going to call and verify the legalities of course but curious if anyone knows off hand

Scottyboy

WKR
You could ship it to yourself using USPS General Delivery to the nearest Post Office you live. They will hold it for 30 days and all you do is go there, show ID, sign and leave. No declaration of a firearm needed.

The best way is to disassemble the firearm to reduce size. When asked the contents, say 'Gun Parts'. Done.
With USPS you just need to answer “liquids, batteries blah blah” on the touch screen prompt, no need to declare what is actually inside. 😉

If I have a permit to acquire (required in Hawaii) and have a family member purchase a gun and ship it to the local FFL is that legal? Or could I just have them send it to me and I fill out the required paperwork?

I’m going to call and verify the legalities of course but curious if anyone knows off hand

Generally speaking if they buy and then send to an FFL for you, you’re okay. If they bought it for you and sent it direct that’s a straw purchase and illegal. As long as the firearm is being transferred through an FFL though you should be okay but Hawaii may be different. If you’re flying home though I think you’d be better off either flying with it or purchasing yourself and sending it to yourself

Wapiti1

WKR
If you have someone else purchase it and send it, it MUST be shipped directly to an FFL in your home state and be transferred to you through the FFL. Otherwise, it is a straw purchase and illegal.

The other options are purchase and bring on the plane, or purchase yourself and mail it to yourself. In those cases, you would need the permit to acquire and then fill out the Hawaii paperwork for the firearm registration when you got there.

Jeremy

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Howzit braddah...not certain if still on leave but you can purchase out of state and just register a gun in Hawaii from out of state. Still need to do the stupid appointment to go to HPD if you can get one.

OP
McCoppin

McCoppin

FNG
Howzit braddah...not certain if still on leave but you can purchase out of state and just register a gun in Hawaii from out of state. Still need to do the stupid appointment to go to HPD if you can get one.

Ended up just purchasing online and had it shipped to a FFL here in Kailua