Shipping a rifle

What's the best way to ship a rifle? Directly to buyer? Ship to buyer's FFL? Ship from local FFL to buyer's FFL? Insurance? Packaging? Thanks.

elkguide

WKR
You legally have to ship to an FFL holder. Some receiving FFLs require the rifle to come from another FFL holder. As to shipping, your call. Insurance, definitely, Guns seem to develop legs and walk away.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Go to the USPS and ship it to an FFL. You should contact the FFL you are sending it to and get paperwork done and whatnot ahead of time. I would also recommend to not have the thing fully taped up and packaged when you go in, but have all the materials. They usually want to check and make sure the firearm has no ammunition/ is not loaded, kind of a pain to do when all packaged up. It is a pretty smooth process if the FFL is easy to deal with.

rodney482

WKR
Box it up like you love it.... ship via usps and fully insure it.
Must go to FFL and you can verify FFl through a link on BATF site.
Include a copy of your DL if you yourself are not an FFL.
And pray you dont have to use the insurance.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
If you are shipping it over state lines it must go to an FFL Dealer. Get a copy from the buyer or FFL. As long as it is a long gun you can send it USPS. Seal up the box, You do not have to declare what it is and the clerk should not even ask. As an FFL I do have to fill out a little form at the post office but as a private person, you do not. As mentioned above tell the buyer to pick an FFL holder that accepts shipments from private parties. The FFL will want a copy of your Drivers license in the package though for them to log it in. Shipping prices due to the extra length sucks but I have found it has been cheaper than UPS. If you want to use UPS though you have to declare what is in the box. Go to a hub and not a UPS store as they charge even more.
Hand guns have different rules. You can go to Gunbroker and find all of this info as well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've always used Fedex, prefer their tracking system. Make sure there aren't any markings anywhere on the box that would indicate what is inside. Put a copy of the receiving FFL inside the box. Even fully insured Fedex has always been less than $30.

Last edited:

MThuntr

WKR
Shipping to a private seller within most state boundaries does not require an FFL

OP
JohnyRingo
How do you transfer the money for a firearms deal if PayPal has a policy that doesn't allow for it.

WKR
Brownells sells a 5 pack of sturdy shipping boxes for $80. I just sold 4 and all 4 arrived safe and sound. They are very nice and save headaches. I put each rig with bolt removed in a soft gun case. Packed around that and taped them up. They worked great. Only ship to FFL holders.

You legally have to ship to an FFL holder. Some receiving FFLs require the rifle to come from another FFL holder. As to shipping, your call. Insurance, definitely, Guns seem to develop legs and walk away.
This may not be the truth. Within state of residency ffl isn’t needed as long as both parties are residence if that state.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
The only rifle I’ve shipped cost me $80. I dropped it off at LGS and they did all the packaging and shipping/insurance stuff. Money well spent.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
How do you transfer the money for a firearms deal if PayPal has a policy that doesn't allow for it.
Whatever you do, do not take Paypal. I am assuming you are the seller. If you take paypal and the seller disputes anything about the transaction it will be a total pain in the ass. Firearms related transaction and you could lose your Paypal account or funds held up. It happened to a friend. If you know the buyer and that is not going to be a problem with disputes I suppose. If you look at most private party/ Smaller FFL dealers on Gunbroker, we always ask for USPS money order or cashiers check but the buyer is the one now that worries about his new gun arriving after they send their money. With my account folks can see my 100 percent feedback and 200 plus transactions so they can feel comfortable dealing with me. If your case the buyer and seller really don't know each other that's tougher as someone has to trust the other and hopefully not get taken. Good luck.

Go to the USPS and ship it to an FFL. You should contact the FFL you are sending it to and get paperwork done and whatnot ahead of time. I would also recommend to not have the thing fully taped up and packaged when you go in, but have all the materials. They usually want to check and make sure the firearm has no ammunition/ is not loaded, kind of a pain to do when all packaged up. It is a pretty smooth process if the FFL is easy to deal with.
As long as it is a long gun and not a pistol you have no legal requirement to let anyone know what it is. Take it in packaged up, get insurance and always make sure to get signature required delivery so the delivery guy doesnt leave it laying on the doorstep of the ffl holder.

If you are shipping it over state lines it must go to an FFL Dealer. Get a copy from the buyer or FFL. As long as it is a long gun you can send it USPS. Seal up the box, You do not have to declare what it is and the clerk should not even ask. As an FFL I do have to fill out a little form at the post office but as a private person, you do not. As mentioned above tell the buyer to pick an FFL holder that accepts shipments from private parties. The FFL will want a copy of your Drivers license in the package though for them to log it in. Shipping prices due to the extra length sucks but I have found it has been cheaper than UPS. If you want to use UPS though you have to declare what is in the box. Go to a hub and not a UPS store as they charge even more.
Hand guns have different rules. You can go to Gunbroker and find all of this info as well.

Most, if not all, "UPS STORES" will refuse to ship even "gun parts", definitely go to a HUB as they are no trouble

They dont as long as everything goes good

Paypal does review accounts randomly and you don't want them realizing you just did a firearm transaction (as stated elsewhere here) IF you know the person (or trust them) do "friends & family" with NO notations, just money sent

simple solution if you know the person on the other end, if it's a bolt action, pull the bolt and ship it separately, you are then technically shipping "gun parts"