Shipping ammo Private-Private

She told me I could ship primers the same way. But all my other research says no.
Anybody know anything?
How are the gunbroker rapist doing it?

def90

WKR
Hmm interesting.
I am under the assumption the reason uos store's won't is because the local owner was anti.
But I got no proof.

UPS Stores are not owned or operated by UPS, they are private franchises that simply license the UPS brand. The corporate policy of the UPS Store brand is to not ship firearms, ammo or firearm related items. You might find a gun friendly local UPS Store owner that will but the policy of the franchise is to not ship firearms related material.

UPS Stores will charge you double what UPS charges for shipping, that’s how they make their money. You can simply go to UPS.com and create your own shipping label, print it off and either set up a pick up, drop off at a UPS hub or if not shipping firearms related material drop off at a UPS store. You will save a ton of $$ by going online and doing it yourself.

def90

WKR
She told me I could ship primers the same way. But all my other research says no.
Anybody know anything?

You cannot legally ship primers without being hazmat certified and having a commercial shipping account set up with either UPS or FedEx.

Ammo can be shipped by anyone via ground. The old ORM-D label has been replaced by the black diamond label as the required marking.

You can draw this on the box with a black marker:

EE00C703-746C-4E32-8114-4ED814679E6A.png

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Most FFLs in my area will ship the ammo for you for a fee. The closest UPS main hub is an hour away, so it’s cheaper to pay my FFL $20 than spend the fuel and my time.

def90

WKR
The new diamond marking is known as the "Limited Quantity Marking" btw.. these new symbols are internationally recognized symbols while the old ORM-D was just a US based marking. This started back in 2013 and shippers are finally getting rid of the old markings. Although it can be placed on it's side so it looks like a square the preferred orientation is that it be a diamond.

Here are the size requirements with US DOT requirements in bold:

"The limited quantity marking must be 100mm x 100mm; however, a reduced-size marking between 50mm and 100mm may be used in place of a corresponding marking that otherwise conforms to the requirements of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR), which permits use of a reduced-size hazard marking when a package surface is too small or of an irregular shape for a full size marking.

The HMR does not prohibit the placement of a limited quantity marking in an orientation where the square-on-point is located with its flat sides parallel to the sides of the packages. A limited quantity marking that otherwise conforms to the requirements of the HMR may be placed square-on-side when the square-on-point is not practicable if the package surface is too small or of an irregular shape for a full size marking.

However, the square-on-point configuration is the preferred (recommended) method for displaying the limited quantity marking required by the HMR. It is important to note, though, that some carriers and foreign competent authorities may not accept shipments where the limited quantity marking is placed on the package in a square configuration where the sides are parallel to the edge of the box.

The U.S. Dept. of Transportation (DOT) also permits the marking size to be reduced to less than the 100mm per side standard (but not less than 50mm) to the extent necessary to accommodate pre-printing of additional information needed with the limited quantity marking such as bar coded shipping labels."

RS3579

WKR
Anyone have a link to print the black and white diamond. I went to UPS to ship ammo today and found this out.

def90

WKR
Anyone have a link to print the black and white diamond. I went to UPS to ship ammo today and found this out.
Just save the image I posted above and print it. You can also just take a black marker and draw it on the box.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anybody know anything?
You have to go to a UPS hub to ship primers, fill out the paperwork, and pay the hazmat fee. Has to be at a hub directly through UPS. I doubt that a majority of the gunbroker types are certified shippers, that's a long drawn out expensive process to get certified.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KsRancher

WKR
I wish I would have found this thread and read it before I tried to ship ammo this week. It's been a disaster. 1st off I am too stupid to figure out how to make a label, and then I have no way to print one. I called around and could not even find anyone to help me make a label and print one. Try to ship it at our local shipping place and they wouldn't do it. Drove it to UPS store 60 miles away and they wouldn't do it. Come to find out I have to drive back up 60 miles to a UPS distribution center which is only open 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. for the public

Last edited:

KsRancher

WKR
Update. After the 60 mile drive up there to ship it. They DONT take credit card or cash. Check only. This is at the UPS hub in Hutchinson, Ks. Who even takes a check these days. So, it's still not shipped

You cannot legally ship primers without being hazmat certified and having a commercial shipping account set up with either UPS or FedEx.

Ammo can be shipped by anyone via ground. The old ORM-D label has been replaced by the black diamond label as the required marking.

You can draw this on the box with a black marker:

View attachment 254828

You have to go to a UPS hub to ship primers, fill out the paperwork, and pay the hazmat fee. Has to be at a hub directly through UPS. I doubt that a majority of the gunbroker types are certified shippers, that's a long drawn out expensive process to get certified.

Sooo which one of you is correct? Two completely different answers for shipping primers.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sooo which one of you is correct? Two completely different answers for shipping primers.
UPS is a certified shipper and obviously hazmat certified. Can't do it at a UPS Store, has to be a hub. I know a few guys who've done it.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure which one is correct. It would be great if it could be confirmed. The UPS wesite is confusing.

I believe shipping things like primers and powder is a super restricted but shipping primed brass or even ammo is ok. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk