Shipping Bow

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone,

I’m getting pumped up for my first Backcountry elk hunt. I have a buddy that lives in CO near where I will be hunting. I will be flying to maximize vacation days and was thinking on shipping my bow ahead of time. A experience with this? Would you put a hard case in a box? Any idea of costs?

Thanks in advance

Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will cost about 60 bucks if you ship with the case. 25 bucks roughly without a case. Get insurance on the bow, I just had the post office bend a cam on a bow I sold. It was packaged well, and they still found a way to bend the heck out of the cam. I got insurance and they ended up covering the cost of the cam and labor to replace.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Dang I was hoping it would be cheaper. I think I’m too nervous to send without case. Maybe I should just check another bag, but it won’t get good treat meat there either. It’s not one of those fancy cases, just the real cheap Plano...

I would ship your clothes and everything if you do it. Just to make your trip easier. Pack your bow in all your clothes just to protect it more. I don't know that you will save much money or if anything will be treated differently.

Bl704

WKR
I've flown with mine before and plan the same in a couple weeks. Used my clothes in lieu of foam on one side with TSA locks on the case. My broadheads and knife also in the case.

Depending on the airline, your status, and any other checked luggage, you may or may not be charged.

A couple years ago I did a deer hunt in Kansas. I flew in and rented a car. On the plane I took my primary bow in a badlands terraglide and never got a second look.

I wanted to have a backup bow since I'm left handed. I asked my local archery shop for a cardboard box a new bow would come in. I took the 2 piece quiver and stabilizer off and wrapped them in hunting clothes and stuffed them in the box between the string and riser of the bow. I reversed the sight in the dovetail mount so it rode between the riser and string in the box.

I shipped it to the outfitter a week ahead via usps. It was around $25 each way. I knew I had a Bow there to hunt before I left home on my flight. I was a little aprehensive about sending my backup bow in just a cardboard box but my bow shop told me that is how new bows are shipped. All went well and I would do it again if needed.

TX_Diver

WKR
I flew home with my bow in a legend everest case.

I just shipped a bow to my brother in law though with no issues. Made my own cardboard box from the box my bow press came in and packed it with extra paper.

If it was me I’d fly with it. I just made a trip where I was gone for a while and I took my bow, put lots of clothes around it and the sight. Put some tsa locks on it. Had no problems at all, and I had multiple connections both ways. I have an SBK case.

It will cost about 60 bucks if you ship with the case. 25 bucks roughly without a case. Get insurance on the bow, I just had the post office bend a cam on a bow I sold. It was packaged well, and they still found a way to bend the heck out of the cam. I got insurance and they ended up covering the cost of the cam and labor to replace.

I don’t know how you’re shipping it but I tried to ship mine to Colorado just a few days ago and UPS was $120 one way. Now I did ship out a box full of gear to avoid having more than one carry on and it wasn’t bad, only $47.

I don’t know how you’re shipping it but I tried to ship mine to Colorado just a few days ago and UPS was $120 one way. Now I did ship out a box full of gear to avoid having more than one carry on and it wasn’t bad, only $47.
UPS is ridiculously expensive in my experience. I always ship USPS now.

stonewall

WKR
We've shipped UPS in the case with good results. We always load it up with knives and handguns, etc. And zip tie the sucker shut. The optics go in the carry-on.
Do you know if they are "OK" with the handguns? I asked Fedex about shipping a rifle a few years ago, and it was a no

stonewall

WKR
I shipped my bow by Fedex a couple years ago. I had the hard case inside of a box. don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't unreasonable. however, I think you're ahead to fly with it and maybe ship stuff home if you're having to check meat on the plane

OP
Bobrunner06

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice guys!