Shipping compound bow for Lanai Axis hunt

RDG_RNR

FNG
Will be having my honeymoon in Hawaii next month and we have an Axis Deer hunt on Lanai booked. We are doing Lanai and Maui and I don’t really want to have pay bag fees for my compound bow on the inter-island flight and carry it around for the rest of our stay, so I was contemplating shipping it home after our hunt.

I have an SKB case, so it’s pretty self contained with my arrows and broadheads, etc.

I’ve flown with firearms and my bow before, so not so worries about that, but was wondering if y’all had experience shipping and depending on feedback, may ship it both ways.

Estimated costs? Concerns? Good/bad experiences?

Thanks all!

I've flown with a bow and it was a basic checked bag, Shipping might cost the same though. Could have it shipped to your hotel and ask your hotel how they would prefer the package be labeled so there is no confusion about who it belongs to

OP
RDG_RNR

RDG_RNR

FNG
I've flown with a bow and it was a basic checked bag, Shipping might cost the same though. Could have it shipped to your hotel and ask your hotel how they would prefer the package be labeled so there is no confusion about who it belongs to
Ya, that was my thought. I've never had trouble flying with firearms/bows, just thought the baggage fees and inconvenience of tugging my case for 3 legs might add up. I just estimated a quote online, and was a bit surprised at the cost ($530??!). Might swing by Fedex today and ask in person

I just estimated a quote online, and was a bit surprised at the cost ($530??!). Might swing by Fedex today and ask in person
If you're willing to put it in a cardboard bow box, you could likely ship it way cheaper. I bought a bow in February that came in a 48"×15"×4" cardboard box with 9 lb package weight and cost $42 to ship from Montana to Oklahoma. PirateShip.com says you could ship a package of that size/weight from California to Lanai for $42.97. Buying a shipping label through Pirate Ship then just dropping the pre-labeled package off at a UPS/USPS location is significantly cheaper than paying for shipping in person at the store. I've shipped and received several bows in cardboard boxes with no issues, just pad it as much as possible with bubble wrap and/or wadded up grocery sacks.

The arrows would be easy enough to put in a travel tube inside a good-sized duffel bag or suitcase.
Screenshot_20220608-122909_Samsung Internet.jpg

Antares

WKR
Completely unrelated to your question about shipping, but here's a pic of a big boy I saw yesterday just to get your juices flowing. He was 560 yards out, taken through my Kowa 544.

IMG_6397.jpg

OP
RDG_RNR

RDG_RNR

FNG
If you're willing to put it in a cardboard bow box, you could likely ship it way cheaper. I bought a bow in February that came in a 48"×15"×4" cardboard box with 9 lb package weight and cost $42 to ship from Montana to Oklahoma. PirateShip.com says you could ship a package of that size/weight from California to Lanai for $42.97. Buying a shipping label through Pirate Ship then just dropping the pre-labeled package off at a UPS/USPS location is significantly cheaper than paying for shipping in person at the store. I've shipped and received several bows in cardboard boxes with no issues, just pad it as much as possible with bubble wrap and/or wadded up grocery sacks.

The arrows would be easy enough to put in a travel tube inside a good-sized duffel bag or suitcase.
View attachment 417931
Great recomendation! I just created an account here, and even with my SKB dimensions the shipping dropped to ~$122. If I can get this rate on return, I think this pretty much solves my problems! Thanks!!

OP
RDG_RNR

RDG_RNR

FNG
@Antares - my juices are defenitely flowing!

My fiance will be taking the opportunity for the buck, I'll be doing some meat hunting. Hopefully she can connect on a nice one!

You are flying straight to lanai and then flying back to Maui for the rest of your stay? Or first going Maui andgoing back and forth to lanai vai plane? Double check with the interisland flight on baggage allowances. They have gotten stricter recently. Freezing the meat and using Soft sided cooler bags is usually your best bet. The ferry also goes 5 times a day from lahaina if you haven't booked yet could be a viable option.