Shipping moose euro

Scottf270

WKR
Hunting with PaPa Bear this fall. If successful, want to have Euro done. Can I take it on airline, unsplit, and not boiled out? Leave it with a taxi or someone like D&C to have processed and then shipped? Other options? Costs?

It depends on how big it is, and who you fly with. I shot a 60” Bull this year and flew it home no questions asked through Alaska Airlines. We did have it mostly cleaned out which they verified with us. Also had to have all points wrapped. We paid a local taxidermist $50 to have it all ready to go on the plane. The were more concerned about the cleanliness than the size. They didn’t want brain matter and other fluids leaking all over the luggage of everybody else I guess. Wimps. My guess is other airlines might give you more grief.

cnelk

WKR
Based on some unforeseen circumstances at the end of my AK moose hunt, I shipped my 60" euro
with D&C Expediters.

$1000.

Takes 2-3 months to get delivered

I probably wouldnt do that again, knowing what I know now.

FE37DF1.jpg

70sTUWs.jpg

I think the biggest problem with prepping and flying a European moose skull home would be the skull itself. In particular, the long nasal bones are fairly fragile and subject to breakage. The skull needs to be clean and absolutely sealed to prevent any type fluid leakage, because that will get it tossed aside somewhere during a plane change. I'd like to see or know exactly how guys are protecting their skulls from damage in-transit.

Keep in mind that IF you are going to one of the states where CWD is present, it is illegal to transport any cervid with brain matter. I am having my moose from NF done there and shipped to me. Probably not the cheapest option, but the one that worked best for me.

OP
S

Scottf270

WKR
You would think you could transport one in where it's already present. Has CWD been found or proven in Alaskan moose? The whole CWD thing is a circle jerk anyway. Thanks for the info.

If you're going the taxidermist route, just wrap the skull with plastic wrap and ship it on NAC to Anchorage and be done with it. Let your taxi pick it up. The planes are mostly empty so it's really cheap shipping out of the village. I think this load was close to 1,000 lbs on two pallets and cost about $250.

Start calling around to guys (taxidermists) that have cleaned and shipped a bunch and pick a winner. Shipping mounts shouldn't be anything new to a taxidermist in AK.

Sorry I have no other input on getting it to the lower 48. I've seen this talked about several times on AK hunting facebook pages and there is a guy that always pops up. I've never really thought to write it down but you could maybe check there if you're not happy with the prices a taxi if giving you. I hope you shoot a bull too big to check on a plane! moose pallet.JPG

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Papa Bear will have duct tape, shrink wrap, foam, and cardboard to DIY for the prep home. They also have a pressure washer onsite to work on your skull. Make sure you allow yourself a solid day or two on the back end of your hunt for the prep work to get your meat and antlers home. Alaska Airlines does not balk at euro's one bit. You'll pay an oversize charge for them shipped whole, but you will be satisfied knowing they are on the same plane with you going home. Dont sweat it Scott. And brother, I can testify that you are in good hands! Good luck

OP
S

Scottf270

WKR
Great info, thanks to all. What can I ship up ahead of time to cover brow tines, tips etc. Pipe insulation, tennis balls, etc?

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Scott,
PapaBear has cardboard, duct tape, shrink wrap, and pipe insulation there onsite in one of their Conex trailers. You could bring your own supplies up, but they have everything you need there.

Alaska trophy express advertises $850.00 delivered to lower 48 via refrigerated truck I split antlers,cape,and meat. I am looking at them for 2021 use.
That's not a bad deal when you consider the cost involved shipping everything back. I am not sure how everything is figured, but I would imagine that they are going to wait to ship the entire load down to the lower 48 when he has a full truck. It might be best practice to have your meat processed there if it is going to be a couple months until you get everything back. I don't know the rest of the story so I do apologize if this is something that is already in motion.