Shipping rifles/shotguns to yourself

bobr1

WKR
Hey all,

I am planning on going home to see some family in about 2 weeks and wanted to try to get a few of my guns back to where I live now which is about 2,000 miles away. Anyway I am flying on standby and won't be checking luggage so it looks like my best option is to ship them to myself. I read the rules and regs and looks like I can do it through USPS and it needs to be express mail. But I would like to see what most people do for packaging them for shipping. It looks like I probably need to buy the gun boxes from an online retailer but I can only find them in bulk. I'd probably only need 2 or 3 but trying to be as efficient and budget minded as possible. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

I believe any firearm needs to ship to/from a licensed FFL dealer.
Personally, If it were me I'd buy a locking long gun case and check it into baggage with me on my flight.

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
I believe any firearm needs to ship to/from a licensed FFL dealer.
Personally, If it were me I'd buy a locking long gun case and check it into baggage with me on my flight.

I verified that I didn't need an FFL because the gun is not transferring to a different person and I talked to the post master in person about it for shipping.

a. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent within the same state of mailing. These items must bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement, and must be sent by Express Mail (“signature required” must be used at delivery) or Registered Mail, or must include either insured mail service (for more than $200) requiring a signature at delivery.

b. A shotgun or rifle owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner’s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the state, where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:

1. Be addressed to the owner.

2. Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.

3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.

Apologies, I guess i misspoke. That is certainly news to me.

I'd still put them in a locked gun case and then perhaps box that.
Will they insure firearms?

Sodbuster

WKR
I have shipped to myself as well.
Are they scoped? I ask because it will affect price a little.
Go to a retailer like Walmart and buy inexpensive soft gun cases as the interior wrapper.use those inside a homemade cardboard box, cut down and tapped together.
More packing tape makes it sturdier.

Or at the same retailers but the least expensive hard case. Build the box around it.

If the firearm is scoped you can take the
Optic off and carry in your bag. The scope just makes a bigger box and Usps
Will be looking for ways to get into your wallet.

As a side note,delivery on everything seems to be slowing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
Great! Thanks for the help guys. I got a couple of soft gun cases and Plano cases back home so I'll probably just use a couple of those and then either see if I can find some used cardboard cases or just make one to put around them. I'll have at least one scoped rifle I will be sending and a few shotguns. I'll break them down before shipping and remove the bolt in the rifle.

Buy a cheap plastic hard case online. It will ship to you in a box. Keep the box and use for shipping rifles.

Buy the cheap plano double rifle cases. "Plastic "
If you have an archery pro shop around they also always have a surplus of cardboard bow boxes.
Cut me down and slide 1 on from each end.
Use the plastic Plano case.
It will protect the gun from pressure more than cardboard.
For expensive shotguns, I have 'built' shipping crates from 1X4 and quarter inch plywood, used sheets of styrofoam insulation for padding. Sz 6 screws.
It works and it cost maybe $12.

I had to seriously negotiate with UPS when Browning returned my shotgun to me from a warranty visit.
UPS couldn't believe I could receive a shotgun without an FFL until I pulled up the policy on the ATF website and showed them.