Shocking experience

rclouse79

WKR
After realizing I forgot to fill our water bladders from the last trip we opted to head down to the car instead of setting up a tarp for the rain storm. We were working our way down a knife ridge when it started to rain fairly hard. The last bit got steeper so I pulled out my trekking poles. I had one pole pointed up and it started making a noise like a mini bug zapper in the middle of a swarm of mosquitoes. At first I thought it was the wind, but when I pointed it down it stopped. In the name of science I held the tip up again and it made the same noise loud enough that my son heard it. I extended the poles and held it up one last time and could actually feel myself getting shocked. The next word out of my mouth was “RUN!!”. Needless to say we made it down the mountain very quickly. The strange thing is I never saw lightning or heard thunder.

Cool!!!
You can stand under the high voltage power lines where they sag a little low and hold up a fluorescent light tube and get it to light up. Sounds like you needed a light tube.
Out in eastern Oregon we’d have odd storms like you describe that would create a charge in the cars, trucks, trailers, ect… The morning after the storms everything metal and not grounded would shock you when you touched it.

BBob

WKR
Cool!!!
You can stand under the high voltage power lines………..everything metal and not grounded would shock you when you touched it.

Park your truck under those high voltage lines and when you get back to it in the dark tired and hungry and reach over the bedside to grab the cooler and the soft inner part of your upper arms touches some of the scratched and bare metal you’ll get a hell of a shock! BTDT 🤣🤣🤣

dtrkyman

WKR
Crazy!

I made a cast once out on Green Bay during a rain storm, my lure made it about 30 yards and then just started to hover, that was the last cast of that particular day!

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
That’s crazy! I cut timber for 20 years in western Washington and never experienced anything like that but I worked with a couple old timers that didn’t want anything to do with lightning storms. It’s weird how it strips the bark on trees. Some breeds of trees like Doug fir it strips it straight down and some like spruce, it candy canes.

Button

WKR
One thing I won’t fish in is lighting. Sometimes it’s unavoidable when I am set up on the beach. 10’ and 12’ surf rods up on my trucks shark platform put the rod tips over 20’ in the air…the tallest objects around for many miles.

Phaseolus

WKR
Sailing a 35’ sloop from Fiji to Australia we ran into two severe lightning storms. In both cases we put all the electronics in the oven, it’s supposed to act like a faraday cage. Luckily we didn’t get struck But did have the crap scared out of us.

NoWiser

WKR
Had that happen fishing a few times with our graphite rods. When it’s really bad you cast and your line stays up in the air. Not good. Lightening is scary.