Shoe Recommendations - Non-Hunting

Looking for recommendations on shoes for every day wear. I've always run asics and brooks, but I'm looking for something a little more durable. I'm about 6'4 230lbs so I'm sure the weight cuts the lifespan of the shoe down considerably. I tend to wear them out pretty quickly as they are worn from the time I get up until I go to bed. I like the idea of a salomon hiking shoe, but unfortunately they only go up to a size 14. I need something in the size 15 range.

Anyone have any experience with a durable shoe that provides relatively good support?

Rich M

WKR
I was gonna refer you to Duluth Trading Post but they don't have the boots I have anymore. Bleh.

Wvroach

WKR
Sure I'll get slammed for this from some shoe snobs, and while I have "better" boots and shoes I really like my keen targhees. They have held up well, and are well abused, I've worn the tread to nothing and shoe gooped the rubber on a couple times.

Finch

WKR
Sure I'll get slammed for this from some shoe snobs, and while I have "better" boots and shoes I really like my keen targhees. They have held up well, and are well abused, I've worn the tread to nothing and shoe gooped the rubber on a couple times.
I was going to recommend the same. I have these as my work shoe (office work) but I walk a few miles at lunch with them.

I used to buy some sketchers slip ons but they caused foot pain after a while. Loving these Keens.

Screenshot_20220504-194600_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I will toss in another vote for Merrell. I run the Moab ventilator. The goretex versions don’t breath for me. I take out the stock insert and put in an older pair of green super feet. Tons of traction and support for me. They go up to size 16. One of the few shoes I tend to wear out the soles on before the uppers blow out. I think I have had 6 pairs by now.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a pair of Oboz "Bozman" hiking shoes a few weeks back - really like them and suggest that you take a look.

I have four pairs of Altra shoes. Two lone peaks, a super light runner, and a casual.

They are excellent and extremely comfortable.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
Altra for me as well, running, trail running, hikers (waterproof and non) and “casual” work shoes. I’ve had like six pairs and whenever possible, the only footwear I’ll buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ndbwhunter
Thank you for the recommendations on the Altras. I've never heard of them before. How is the fit/sizing. Do they typically run true to size (when compared to asics, brooks, hoka, etc...)?

Thank you for the recommendations on the Altras. I've never heard of them before. How is the fit/sizing. Do they typically run true to size (when compared to asics, brooks, hoka, etc...)?
I’d say their sizing is pretty standard. The toe box is very wide by design and little to no drop in the line peaks.

Mojave

WKR
I’m 6’8” 220lbs with a size 15, and Altra Lone Peaks have been great for my back. Seem to last a good while too.
I normally wear some kind of Brooks, every day! Was doing the beast, but I honestly think the Caldera 5 is softer.

I wear Scarpas when I am hunting, the current Kuiu $300 model, whatever it is called.

I am a 14. But I realize that 15 is a whole nother animal. I am 50 pounds heavier than you are. I walk about 3 miles a day.

The Altra Lone Peaks are cool because they are zero drop. So I will do a day of those and then go back to the Caldera.

I have plantar fascitis, and I wear oofoos sandals (thong, flip flops, jandals whatever you call them) any time my feet are naked in the house. We have tile floors and I can't walk if I go barefoot.

I would say the lone peak mids that I have run somewhat large. My casual and light runners are 10.5, the lone peak 10.5 was huge. I ended up with a 10 and 9.5 lone peak for different uses.

Mojave

WKR
I will back this, Merrell is good stuff.
Personally don't like them, not a bad company they just don't feel good. Keen is dogshit for fit for my feet.

I used to be a died in the wool Danner guy, and would buy a new pair of 8 inch steel toed police boots every year until the Navy got away from black boots.

After retirement, as I got older my feet changed and I like Haix, Solomon, Scarpa, Brooks and Altra.

Saying that I have a lot of problems with my feet. Boots like Red Wings, Whites Packers and so on would put me in the hospital if I had to wear them today. But for most people who can get past the break in they are awesome.