Shoes/boots for rucking?

Nevvon

FNG
I always use to use boots. But I have switched to approach shoes like salewa's. Last year I did a 60 mile backpack trip in them. I found that the less weight on my feet was good. I use the approach shoe so that I have a good stable foot bed. I have used salomon trail runners as well but found that on days of 12 miles plus they do not support me as good with the weight of a heavy pack. I recommend to folks that you wear what you will use when hunting/backpacking/hiking/etc so that you can work out any issues when training before it is go time.

BBob

WKR
Around the neighborhood asphalt I wear my Hey Dude's. Strong feet. Been known to wear them on the trail w/30-35lbs ish too. Oh yeah and the Vivo Gobi's, goofy looking as heck but whatever :) On trail you'll find me mostly in my Hoka Speedgoat's.

I always just wear my hunting boots, since that's what I'm hunting in. Sometimes I'll wear my pack on the treadmill if the weather is bad, and in that case I just wear tennis shoes.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Since when did hiking become “rucking”? Lemme guess, did it start about the same time dudes started “running” tacticool nonsense on their hunting rifles?

Well using hiking dosent entail trying to make your pack heavier right? Most hikers I know carry small day packs, Fanny packs even. If you throw weight in a pack for a hiking workout, then it’s rucking. It’s also not always hiking. Lots of rucking takes place on sidewalks or bike paths etc. for me it’s just a bit of extra fitness for my feet and calf’s when I take the dog out for a walk. I do think though that the go ruck guys are geniuses….made a fortune off selling expensive backpacks to guys who would rather walk than run.

I say that as somebody who just got the shipping notice for a go ruck backpack.

*zap*

WKR
Most of the time hiking/pack training I wear very minimalist runners. Builds feet/lower legs.

OP
Newtosavage
Since when did hiking become “rucking”? Lemme guess, did it start about the same time dudes started “running” tacticool nonsense on their hunting rifles?
Since people started loading their packs with weights instead of granola bars and juice boxes would be my guess.

OP
Newtosavage
Well using hiking dosent entail trying to make your pack heavier right? Most hikers I know carry small day packs, Fanny packs even. If you throw weight in a pack for a hiking workout, then it’s rucking. It’s also not always hiking. Lots of rucking takes place on sidewalks or bike paths etc. for me it’s just a bit of extra fitness for my feet and calf’s when I take the dog out for a walk. I do think though that the go ruck guys are geniuses….made a fortune off selling expensive backpacks to guys who would rather walk than run.

I say that as somebody who just got the shipping notice for a go ruck backpack.
Count me as one of those guys. I wanted a dedicated weighted pack and finally bit the bullet and got an Outdoorsmans Atlas setup.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That’s a good idea for the weeks leading up to a hunt but if you did it year round you’d eat through the fancy outsoles on your hunting boots pretty quick.

Not only that but if you have the goal of strengthening your feet and ankles, using a training shoe will work better than a stiff mountain boot.

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
I wear my running shoes on my weighted dog walking adventures I haven’t had any issues up to 65 lbs but I usually only do 3-4 miles on flat ground. I Save my boots for the mountains.