Shoes for pack training

I wear what I will be using during the season. No snow I wear my Salomon SC 4's. Once the snow hits the ground I switch to boots. Lots of snow I switch from leather boots to plastic boots.

Been wearing cross trainers. They give me more stability than my running shoes, but since I'm on level pavement or bleachers, and because it's 90-105 degrees, I don't want or feel the need for a full boot. I would not wear my running shoes though because I'd probably roll an ankle.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I was using regular hiking shoes till I rolled my ankle, now I'm wearing my hunting boots. The extra ankle support helps. The last thing I need 2 weeks before my trip is an injury. Also paying attention to where I step!

*zap*

WKR
Treadmill I wear Merrill Trail Glove running sneakers, road or trail I wear Belleville boots.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if my pack is 35-ish lbs or lighter I just wear my trail running shoes (La Sportiva Akasha), if it's 35+ lbs I wear my hunting boots (La Sportiva Omega)- just feels better and if I have a heavier pack on "for real" I'll be in my hunting boots anyways :)

Jason_F

FNG
I like the stability of my boots once the weight starts to get over 50lbs. Under that it doesn't really matter, I'll wear my trainers that I work out in or perhaps hikers, it doesn't really seem to make a lot of difference for me.

deadi

Lil-Rokslider
Cross trainers and then my hunting boots during the last 30 days before hunting season.

Just picked up a set of the Kenetrek "Bridger Ridge Lows". They list them as a hiker boot.
They look like a low top tennis shoe style to me. Hoping these will work out for my walks and maybe some light hike training.

54 year old out of shape round man needing to get into shape for a sheep hunt in Aug '21.
Should these work ok for what I'm thinking?
Will use my new Crispi Nevadas for tougher terrain hiking (with pack on especially). Kinda thinking like the guy above, want to get my Crispis broke in good for the hunt, but don't want to wear them out in the process.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to try the shoes you guys wear. I find even my minimal trail runners stay very wet and uncomfortable for a long time, they seem to never dry out, it’s too humid here. Having my feet soaked all day isn’t fun. Maybe if I hiked a few more hours they would dry enough to not bother me?

sga475

FNG
I wear my Asolo TPS 535’s when training in the mountains or bad weather. I have some lightweight north face hikers for training on flat.

duchntr

WKR
I wear my trail runners for pack training in all terrains and for heavy loads. If you have weak feet/ankles start with a lighter pack and or use more supportive footwear.

MoySan

FNG
I would train in a good pair of boots, gets you use to a heavier weight on your feet and you have more support.