Shoes for pack training

I wear the same boots that I hunt in. I like to try and replicate the hunt as much as possible, in so far as using my boots and pack, loaded with a bit of weight. I don’t worry about wear and tear on my boots because I just figure that if I’m wearing them all the time to train in, when I head out on the hunt, my feet will be used to wearing them and they’ll be well broken in. If they end up not lasting me as long, so be it, I’m okay with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too train in the same boots I plan to hunt in. I usually run a 40 pound bag of salt on my back no matter what for training hikes. I put 5 miles in yesterday on a pretty new pair of boots and my feet felt pretty good.

gexpro

WKR
i wear my hunting boots (scarpa GTX) when training/pack training. the insole is a bit stiffer and i like to build the tolerance in my shins and legs a few months before season starts

Wearing my Salomon hiking shoes right now until I get some Crispi Summits or Idahos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will make sure to get some training in on my hunting boots but I hate to wear down the soles. Some of my training walks involve pavement so I have a stable of trainers that include some Solomon speed cross shoes and some “eBay special” mil surplus boots. Mostly danners and some Alta or bates. Get them for $40-50 a pair and don’t mind trashing them as much as $$$ hikers or hunting boots.

*zap*

WKR
I have noticed that unweighted hiking or under 30# ruck on trails wearing low cut Merrill Trail Glove barefoot trail runners my legs/knees and hips get more of a workout than with my hiking boots, actually even walking 4 miles on the road my legs/knees and hips get more of a workout with those trail runners. I need that area of my body conditioned so I do about 50% with trail runners and the rest with good hiking boots.

IMG_5426.JPG

MWBaker5

FNG
Weak ankles from sports injuries. Iv'e recently started using zero drop crossfit shoes on trail. Feels much more stable and less prone to rolling ankles. Works well for training and good weather. Not so good for wet, cold or snow. I've used Altra and Nike metcon, both work well for me.

hogstrong

FNG
Once my heavy hiking boots are broken in I only wear them if my ankles really need the support. For training purposses the lighter the better. Low cut Salomons for sprinting and endurance hiking

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
I am in love with the Salomon speedcross 5's. The regular was too skinny, so I ordered the Wide and it was perfect. Light, super good grip, good padding, not too expensive. Winner in my book