Shoot 00 Buck thru Turkey Choke?

WCB

WKR
Tight constricted chokes do not always give you tighter patterns. It is as simple as can you jam the shot through that tight of a constriction without severally deforming the shot. Is the choke designed/ or is the metal able to handle the force.

I have seen the wrong shot material and size shot through chokes and it can cause them to stick in the barrel and can eventually bulged or expand the barrel.

Call the choke manufacturer and ask them. If they say yes...go for it. If no understand anything that happens is on you and shotgun barrels are not cheap these days.

Firth

FNG
In looking for buckshot info online I came across Bubba Rountree outdoors. The guy has a webpage and a youtube channel with a bunch of buckshot info. Load data, patterning test, etc. He talks about the choke tubes they use. Might be a helpful resource.

Edited to add: Don't remember if turkey chokes were ever specifically addressed - but there is some choke information there.

Last edited:

will16_

FNG
Never used designatd turkey choke, as I hunt with a full rem choke for turkeys. But i have shot a few pigs with a full choke and 00 buck. One was on the run at about 40 yards, it is very effective.

You need to pattern your gun with the shells you're going to hunt with and try different chokes. Every gun and load is different. I know some people who use turkey chokes and buckshot on deer and their guns pattern very tight.

Just run a cylinder or improved cylinder choke with either Hornady with the veratite was or Federal with the flight control wad (they’re the same wad). 8 pellet gives the best patterns and I prefer the Horday TAP LE light magnum load as it’s a bit hotter and I’m not concerned about the slight increase in recoil. Works very well to 75-80 yard and even keeps 3-5 pellets on a 50% IPSC at 100.

Reactions: dmc

Rich M

WKR
It might damage your gun. 00 shoots best for me thru improved cylinder or modified. And only good for about 40 yards.

Some folks have more respect for hogs than they deserve.

You can drop down to 1 buck and head shoot em - just sayin.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
cnelk I have an older model 1300 and I have the chokes that came with it-one being a full choke. If you find you need or want a full choke message me and I will send it to your for your hunt and you can send back once your done

Haven't been on here long enough to gauge how folks feel about this but I'm gonna go out on a limb and admit to being a long time dog hunter. Regular lead 00 buck does not perform best thru a turkey choke, yes you may get a tighter pattern but because of how restrictive the choke is your shot gets deformed and will 100% get multiple "flyers". In my experience 1 Buck and a turkey choke is a deadly combo for deer or hogs out to 65ish yards, deer maybe even a bit farther but then the ethics of a clean kill come into play. The coyote T shot is great for predators and small hogs, but I would not recommend it for larger hogs. Big boar hogs are tough animals but they're not bulletproof :)

Yarak

WKR
Back in the day when deer doggin we'd use #1 buck and full choke and it was deadly on deer out to 60-70 yds
Every box of 00 I have recommends a modified choke
I'd expect to get a lot of rebound going much tighter than Mod

Button

WKR
I’ve had good luck with modified and full choke 00 on pigs. My turkey choke and 00 did not pattern well in my gun. 00 will stop a cornered charging pig in its tracks.

Samson7x

WKR
Killed a 60lbs sow with 410 and #9.5 tungsten while out turkey hunting this season.

I don't think I'd try buckshot through a turkey choke, but you could call the choke manufacturer and ask. They will probably advise against it.

FLS

WKR
I’ve always shot a modified choke with 00 buckshot. Grew up hunting deer in front of hounds and have shot more than a few hogs with buckshot. I actually prefer 0 or #1 buck for both. It always patterned better and put more pellets on target. Little hogs are easy to kill, big hogs can soak up more lead, but they’re not bullet proof.