Shoot during rappel

OP
D
Thanks!
Does anyone have info or tips on this? Looking for someone with experience

So many questions...normal rappel you are facing the wall...archery or rifle...ATC / Munter / Figure 8?...whatever make sure you are tied off and have an autolock on your line and a knot at the end of it...what's your anchor...It's all doable...archery saddle is no different but you are shooting around the tree. Rock face is a little different.

OP
D
Should one be facing the wall with torso twisted, or facing outwards with feet planted on the wall behind? I know that’s a bit of a ridiculous question, but I figure it might present a tactic I don’t know of....

I tend to agree with the above post...the tie in / belay loop are in front...twisting to take a shot and leaning and all is a good recipe to do an inversion ( or lose your footing ) and crack your skull. No bueno...unless you have spent some time climbing it's not a good thing. That harness better be snug...or you are going for a ride. I've had kids flip over going down a wall and had to coach for a good 10 minutes to get them back in the right direction.

OP
D
So how does one stay upright while rappelling and shooting?
I tend to agree with the above post...the tie in / belay loop are in front...twisting to take a shot and leaning and all is a good recipe to do an inversion ( or lose your footing ) and crack your skull. No bueno...unless you have spent some time climbing it's not a good thing. That harness better be snug...or you are going for a ride. I've had kids flip over going down a wall and had to coach for a good 10 minutes to get them back in the right direction.

So how does one stay upright while rappelling and shooting?
It sounds to me like spending some time on rope, with a talented and qualified mentor would be your best bet before undertaking such a game plan. it’s a pretty easy place to kill yourself in the mountains, on the rope, especially in Alaska.

OP
D
Are the dangers you’re mentioning just for head trauma from becoming inverted?
It sounds to me like spending some time on rope, with a talented and qualified mentor would be your best bet before undertaking such a game plan. it’s a pretty easy place to kill yourself in the mountains, on the rope, especially in Alaska.

I'd just take a portaledge and take a nice, prone shot off the side of a cliff. If you're already lugging gear for technical climbing, a portaledge isn't that big of a deal. Plus, you can pitch camp on the side of the wall and eat fresh goat if you have to overnight.

that's the least of your worries...head in contact with rock due to rapid inversion is the bigger one...seen a very good looking young lady turn a beautiful face into a sopping wet mat of blood and hair when she got too far back trying to turn over and look at her boyfriend take get a picture of her when rappelling...she was sans helmet. I ended up losing a shirt in the deal because he did not know first aid and was freaking out...needed to put some pressure on it...head wounds bleed.

Are the dangers you’re mentioning just for head trauma from becoming inverted?
mat

We used to train it in SWAT. Easiest was head down facing the wall, hand gun only, never tried it with the MP5 or AR. Never did it outside of training. Instructor was from LAPD, guy could run down the wall.

In all seriousness I agree with gunnersdad completely. Not sure how much training or experience you have had. Getting some training through REI or a local mountaineering club would be good. It will give a feel for what all it takes to rappel and you can simply roll and line up a shot in a controlled situation to get a feel of what you are asking.

I absolutely hate having to carry gear when rappelling and the thought of having to stop tie off and get a rifle off my back chambered e.t.c is not appealing to me in any way shape or form. Especially when I would be on a natural anchor that is not bombproof in all likelihood.

OP
D
This is for attacking a window, though, right?
What I’m going for would be shooting away from the wall.
We used to train it in SWAT. Easiest was head down facing the wall, hand gun only, never tried it with the MP5 or AR. Never did it outside of training. Instructor was from LAPD, guy could run down the wall.

I figured a multi point anchor on a static line would be good enough... I’m not including the anchor in my calculations here, though, you’re right, I should.
In all seriousness I agree with gunnersdad completely. Not sure how much training or experience you have had. Getting some training through REI or a local mountaineering club would be good. It will give a feel for what all it takes to rappel and you can simply roll and line up a shot in a controlled situation to get a feel of what you are asking.

I absolutely hate having to carry gear when rappelling and the thought of having to stop tie off and get a rifle off my back chambered e.t.c is not appealing to me in any way shape or form. Especially when I would be on a natural anchor that is not bombproof in all likelihood.

OP
D
Lol, uh...

Anyway, a climbing helmet is always on the gear list... though I’m wondering if a FAST helmet would do the trick.

I was just asking if anyone could foresee anything obvious (like head trauma) but not too obvious (like falling).

Ok, you got me. I was trying to legitimately answer the question.

Stay safe and troll away

Happy April 1st ish.

This is for attacking a window, though, right?
What I’m going for would be shooting away from the wall.

I figured a multi point anchor on a static line would be good enough... I’m not including the anchor in my calculations here, though, you’re right, I should.
Of course, you are correct, simply acknowledging it can be done in a variety of ways, wonder about the objective.
Regardless enjoy the adventure.

OP
D
Of course, you are correct, simply acknowledging it can be done in a variety of ways, wonder about the objective.
Regardless enjoy the adventure.
The objective is to a) increase mobility, b) opportunity, and c) be a badass. It’s also nice to d) do something that most people don’t.