Shoot fatigued!

Tell me how you practice tired?
On my hunts from blacktail to sheep to black bear. Even moose. When it comes down to it Alaska will push you to exhaustion on any hunt. Today I ran a short 2 mile and after it was over I grabbed my bow and range finder for a quick 60 yard shot. One arrow today just a hair below the 10 ring. Put it down and back to work! Shoot as much as possible fatigued.
Please share your methods to madness on shooting. When tired what goes through your mind? Get those reps in!

Attachments

• 13506793-2182-4823-9C3A-92C3437FFE3A.jpeg
    13506793-2182-4823-9C3A-92C3437FFE3A.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 64

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot around 100 arrows daily with an 80lb bow so shooting tired isn't too much of an issue. Go shoot TAC Snow Bird if you really want to practice shooting tired. LOL

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
If you shoot as much as possible when your fatigued I think you would allow bad habits creep in and in the end it would not be good. Archery is repetition of perfect form.....hard to hold perfect form if you are fatigued. ymmv.

If you have perfect form ingrained into muscle memory then taking a shot when fatigued should not be an issue...

OP
Sitkajerds
I shoot around 100 arrows daily with an 80lb bow so shooting tired isn't too much of an issue. Go shoot TAC Snow Bird and if you really want to practice shooting tired. LOL
That would do it haha! I have time for 50 shots here and there but just getting it in daily is what matters to me. 100 shots is tough! The Alaska Archery challenge is June 4th by Full Curl Archery. Winner gets a V3.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
More important for me is holding at full draw for awhile, and then executing a good shot. I'll hold for two minutes and then shoot at 60 yards. I'll also do five shots in a row while holding for 1 min before each shot, also from 60.

But I have also been known to "run" our 3D courses (hilly) and nock an arrow and estimate range as I'm approaching the next target. Then when I get to or near the stake.....draw back and shoot quickly. Then run to the target, pull the arrow, run back to my bow, and then run to the next target. I have done that on field courses as well, shooting all 112 arrows in short order.

Sounds like a recipe for target panic.
I don't hold at full draw long enough to let target panic even have a chance, when I run the courses.....LOL.

OP
Sitkajerds
I found that it helps me to stay consistent and if I’m not fatigued it’s hard to miss. I don’t get to in depth on the intracacies of mechanics because each person shoots different. I use a wise guy release and put front fingers on the riser level it then just feel the shot. I don’t try to hard to be perfect I just want that release to be solid and stay strong on the riser. Obviously you want the release hand to hit the same spot and how you squeeze off the shot. Doing this Fatigued I find is a great test especially for alpine hunting situations. If bad habits develope just perfecte’ the bad habit.

Seeknelk

WKR
I agree it's a very good thing to practice OCCASIONALLY! Just to know what it feels like. Hitting full draw with your heart rate way up and your legs like rubber is a totally different experience than shooting normally. It's even wayyyy different than shooting with tournament or big bull pressure...not necessarily harder , just way different and I think it's something we should be familiar with.
I've mostly done it by doing sled drives across my yard, to random levels of fatigue , trot to my bow and shoot my one arrow. I usually shoot well but it's just so interesting how different it feels.

DeePow

FNG
A great way I’ve figured out when I don’t have time to do a hike before shooting is jump rope. Gets the heart rate racing in under three minutes

OP
Sitkajerds
I agree it's a very good thing to practice OCCASIONALLY! Just to know what it feels like. Hitting full draw with your heart rate way up and your legs like rubber is a totally different experience than shooting normally. It's even wayyyy different than shooting with tournament or big bull pressure...not necessarily harder , just way different and I think it's something we should be familiar with.
I've mostly done it by doing sled drives across my yard, to random levels of fatigue , trot to my bow and shoot my one arrow. I usually shoot well but it's just so interesting how different it feels.
I love it! Also it helps you shoot fast. I think it’s good to consider the possibilities. Creeping up on a bedded goat or ram with time after a hike is also tough. Fatigued could also relate to patience and mental fatigue. Make the shot count waiting for the ram to stand up or unlock off its attention on you. I think it would be wise to do shots after workout but allow yourself to bring the heart rate back down but in an uncomfortable position. Kneeling. Wait a few minutes extra. Allow your thoughts to go in a circle. Mental games

HeadnWest

WKR
I try to practice shooting under duress at least once a week in the summer leading up to an elk hunt. Here are some ideas.

Box step ups - 20 box step ups on a cooler and shoot, repeat for 4 or 5 arrows

Airsquats - 10 - 20 and shoot, repeat for 4 or 5 arrows

Jumping lunges - 10 - 20 Shoot, repeat for 4 or 5 arrows

Get ups- 10 then shoot, repeat

You can add 30 second holds during any of these as well.

I also only shoot with my pack on with at least 15 lbs., bino harness and quiver on my bow. There is no "just shooting" starting in June. every shooting session should be deliberated and realistic as possible.

Depends what fatigued means. Fatigued from shooting arrows all day or hiking all day and out of breath at time of the shot. I quit shooting after a set number of arrows because I know my limit before enducing bad habits. I have tried hiking, and shooting afterwards just to simulate real world hunting scenarios.

Marble

WKR
To me practicing fatigued could be physical or mental. What is absolutely necessary to make a good shot is concentration and focus. There are all sorts of things you can do to try and simulate stress, distraction, fatigue, exertion etc. Trying multiple things usually works the best.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
This may be a bad idea if your bow can’t handle it, but I usually shoot a few with fingers now and then, just in case I ever have to. Still get decent hits digitally.