Shooting a bore with cubs in trees

Recently had incident where a sow w/ 2 cubs was on bait

. A large shooter boar walked in and mother tree ‘d cubs and began to huff and fight bore in attempt move boat along .

Long /short was I held off .

issue was if I kill boat there,
does mother leave cubs in trees and stand her ground. when my i get picked up creating a possible dangerous situation for guide to walk in on ….and possibly having to kill her as she perceives danger to her cubs and is trying to protect them.

anyone with similar experiences or opinions from folks who hunted bears for a long time

rclouse79

WKR
I probably would have not been as thoughtful as you, and would have dealt with issues after the fact. Sounds like a cool encounter anyways!

is it bear season? are you allowed to shoot him?
I watched that show once except the boar had the cubs trapped in a tree all day long, he wanted to killl em.if you were allowed to, i woulda shot him, mama would have figured it out

I would have shot. Very slim chance you would have dumped him there. He would have ran 50-100 yds at least. The sow and cubs would have been fine.

Very rare a sow will attack if you already see them, and cubs are treed. Most attacks are when both you and sow are surprised by the encounter and it’s a quick defensive reaction.

OP
B
is it bear season? are you allowed to shoot him?
I watched that show once except the boar had the cubs trapped in a tree all day long, he wanted to killl em.if you were allowed to, i woulda shot him, mama would have figured it out
Yes hunting season

OP
B
I probably would have not been as thoughtful as you, and would have dealt with issues after the fact. Sounds like a cool encounter anyways!
It really was TY
I would have shot. Very slim chance you would have dumped him there. He would have ran 50-100 yds at least. The sow and cubs would have been fine.

Very rare a sow will attack if you already see them, and cubs are treed. Most attacks are when both you and sow are surprised by the encounter and it’s a quick defensive reaction.
TY. Sow and cubs didn’t know I was there. It was a cool experience. Just hard to know if iI was inviting trouble. Believe me I wanted him . Lol

WCB

WKR
I would have shot him...if I was concerned about it after the shot and the sow ran off I would have scrambled out of the tree and walked out to wait for the guide and let the cubs and sows figure it out...or just sat there and done the same thing and figure it out.

Realistically it is never the "wrong" decision to no pull the trigger. You basically know the outcome then so...no harm no foul

It really was TY

TY. Sow and cubs didn’t know I was there. It was a cool experience. Just hard to know if iI was inviting trouble. Believe me I wanted him . Lol
My point is you knew the sow and cubs were there. Problems come when both you AND the sow are surprised.

Nevertheless it is better to be ethical and conservative in those situations. There is too little of that in this world anymore so it’s good to hear of other hunters like you caring about ethics.

Likely the cubs would have come down after the boar was shot and would have disappeared. No wrong answer here as not shooting didn’t hurt anything. If you shoot in that situation just wait in the tree for an hour or so.

Recently had incident where a sow w/ 2 cubs was on bait

. A large shooter boar walked in and mother tree ‘d cubs and began to huff and fight bore in attempt move boat along .

Long /short was I held off .

issue was if I kill boat there,
does mother leave cubs in trees and stand her ground. when my i get picked up creating a possible dangerous situation for guide to walk in on ….and possibly having to kill her as she perceives danger to her cubs and is trying to protect them.

anyone with similar experiences or opinions from folks who hunted bears for a long time
Don’t think there is really a right or wrong answer… I would Have likely did what you did, mainly because I’m always looking for a reason to not shoot a bear… love hunting them and eating them, but don’t love killing them… they are entertaining to watch, and I’m never in a hurry with bear… you bought yourself more bear hunting… win, win

OP
B
Thank you
Don’t think there is really a right or wrong answer… I would Have likely did what you did, mainly because I’m always looking for a reason to not shoot a bear… love hunting them and eating them, but don’t love killing them… they are entertaining to watch, and I’m never in a hurry with bear… you bought yourself more bear hunting… win, win
yeah it was so cool. Just bought myself another bear hunt next year.

No one got hurt and it sounds like you had a good time. I’d say you made the right call for you, all on your own, right in the moment. That’s the good stuff.

Wow, what a show. I think you made the right call. I imagine I’d do the same anyway. I wouldn’t fault someone else for shooting though.