Shooting a Sow w/ Cubs

rclouse79

WKR
My first year I glassed a large bear that turned out to be a sow. I watched her until she left the creek and went back behind some trees. I never saw any cubs so I made the move down and up to a ridge to get in shooting position. She ended up coming out at last light. While I was watching her I was surprised to see some little fur balls bouncing at the edge of my field of view. They were fun to watch, and I was thankful I saw them. The experience of walking up on a dead sow with cubs at her side would be enough for me to hang up bear hunting, regardless of punitive actions from fish and game. I try to remind myself of that when I spot a bear and get excited after many uneventful trips out.

14idaho

FNG
Unfortunately it happens. Occasionally I find cubs that starved to death. I've seen sows feeding with small cubs hanging on them. Gotta really make sure. I've found 2 small live cubs on a dead sow a few years ago and contacted fish and game thinking they might have a place to care for them. They told me to kill them. Couldn't do it, left them be.

Some areas have too many bears. Parts of Alaska have been deemed predator control areas in the past. Shooting Sows with Cubs is legal during active control times. It’s the best way to reduced population.

Judging Boars versus Sows is a combination of characteristics. Using one method to determine it is often a big risk. I have been fooled more than once by a big old sow that had size and attitude.

Sows versus Boars:

Physical
Sows
  • A sow will have a bigger head/longer snout in proportion to her body
  • Sows have bigger asses than shoulders and tapering front legs with pronounced ankles.
  • A sow will usually show more belly sag
Boars
  • Boars have necks whereas sows look like the head is bolted to the front end.
  • A boar when viewed from the back will show more shoulder width than ass.
  • Boars often appear to have taller legs, broader forelegs and no ankles.
  • Boars have a more square face/shorter snout (in dog terms a boar looks like a rotti whereas a sow will look like a german shepherd).
Behaviour

Sows
  • Sows in early spring (especially with cubs) tend to be in more vertical terrain and do not stray far from escape cover or escape terrain (They will stay close to the edge of avy chutes and cut-blocks).
  • Sows are jumpier and more vigilant. They spook more easily.
  • as mentioned above, they are vocal with their cubs
  • Sows make a more concerted effort to keep their travel with noses in the wind
  • Older sows keep first year cubs closer and are less likely to let them stray. Young sows are more like teen moms at the mall: they often get distracted and then have to regroup with their cub(s).
  • Older sows will sometimes run first year cubs into trees while they feed. It's almost like they need a break and it allows them to concentrate more on feeding. They are NEVER far away from them though.
  • Sows are quicker to tree themselves than boars when frightened.
Boars
  • Boars are more likely to be in less vertical terrain, and are more comfortable with open spaces. Black bears do not have great distance vision, but they can see motion incredibly well at surprising yardage.
  • Boars saunter. They have the attitude of the apex predator, and only become more vigilant if they know a larger boar is present or if rut is on and they have already had an ass-kicking.
  • Boars are more comfortable at times moving with quartering wind or wind at their back if they are feeding aggressively.
  • Boars will even sleep in open terrain if they are the biggest in the valley.

I have about eight seasons of bear video i am trying to edit down to a short 6-7 minutes to demonstrate some of the physical traits/behaviours. I'll post it up once i get it done.
This is a great write up. Did you ever get your video done? Would love to work on my identification skills.