Shooting bumped birds, GSPs

bdg848

WKR
Today was the first hunt of my dog's first season and my first season with a dog. She is 13 month old GSP. We had two solid points but never could get a bird in the air, I think they must have ran when they heard us coming and she was smelling where they had been but I'm not sure, she was locked up hard. Anyways, I've heard not to shoot birds that your dog "bumped". Is that referring to a bird that your dog smelled and moved in on but failed to hold steady and rushed at it or is that referring to a bird that the dog coincidentally flushed and never smelled in the first place due to being upwind? Or is it both? Do you think it's okay to shoot a bird that flushed near you while the dog is working ahead of you? Looking forward to that first point, flush, and shot.

If you bump or put up a bird it’s fair game. When they talk about bumping a bird it would be if your dog goes on point but lunges in before you get there, or if the dog doesn’t lock up on a point at all and smells it or sees it and just rushes it. Sounds like your pup is doing her job pointing. As long as she hold it and waits for you to get there she is doing it right.

slick

WKR
Agreed with Jagger.

If the dog knowingly flushed the bird- no shot.

If it flushed due to you, or the dog unknowingly running through it. Shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSAMP

WKR
Agreed x3. If you wait for a perfect point flush shoot on wild birds on public land you may be in for it. Like all things training related, the goal is to not reinforce bad habits.

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
Cool, thanks guys, that's good to know because I was leaning towards not shooting if she ran over it without smelling but I will take every opportunity I can get to shoot.

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
except for her knowingly bumping it obviously. Honestly, I cant imagine that to be a huge problem for her. After I stomped around her points for a solid two minutes without flushing anything I couldn't even get her to come off her point to try and pin down a better location for the bird or to even give up and go look for another one. I had to pick her up and walk a few steps away and she stayed like a statue the whole time haha.

Michael54

WKR
Just keep putting her on birds. She will figure it out. My pup just turned a year. Yesterday she had two perfect point to flush and retrieves to hand. This morning the birds were taking off as soon as we got in the area of them. I just took it with a grain of salt and kept working her.

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
How does an experienced dog handle pheasants running after a point? Should they be breaking point and trying to keep the bird pinned down or is it kind of just a fact of life to have birds no longer where the dog is on point. I'm new to this obviously.

hobbes

WKR
I let my dogs reposition on their own. They understand that the birds are running. A running rooster stops when he runs out of cover (they normally just fly at that point) or the dog pins him in heavy enough cover that he'll hold. Often the dog can't get it nailed down and when he does, the rooster flushes before you can get to it. Wild roosters are insane, especially after they've been hunted.

I always released my pointer. Once she locked down I would go in front to flush the bird, if bird had moved, I would release her and she would go and lock down on him again. Just keep repeating until she eventually locks him Into heavier cover. But then again she was a setter, not a GSP

Capman

FNG
If you bump or put up a bird it’s fair game. When they talk about bumping a bird it would be if your dog goes on point but lunges in before you get there, or if the dog doesn’t lock up on a point at all and smells it or sees it and just rushes it. Sounds like your pup is doing her job pointing. As long as she hold it and waits for you to get there she is doing it right.
I totally agree

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I always released my pointer. Once she locked down I would go in front to flush the bird, if bird had moved, I would release her and she would go and lock down on him again. Just keep repeating until she eventually locks him Into heavier cover. But then again she was a setter, not a GSP

This is how I hunt with my wirehair. His point loosens up if the birds runs out from under point, so when I see that I usually pick up my pace and release him to get back on the bird. He stays put, but he "softens up" and his tail will start to move, he might lift his head some. If the bird holds tight he stays rigid while on point.

rhustek

FNG
At 13 months sounds like your GSP is doing great, I'm new to all of this as well. My GSP just turned 3 and I had these same questions. All of the trainers I have visited over the last few summers have told me the same thing "It is up to you....". Find a point at which you and dog are happy then just get out and have fun.

Pheasants are a tough bird for pointer owners. So far I've learned that my GSP's tail is the best indicator. When he is really on a strong scent that isn't moving his tail goes almost 90 degrees straight up. When a bird is moving but he has it then his tail is around 45 degrees. He hasn't learned to back off or slowly creep yet so I need to move fast when I see the signs. Maybe this will help you as well.

Biggest thing, don't be in a hurry.

Mosby

WKR
Just bought a started 9 month old GSP. Taking her to Iowa on Tuesday for pheasant. Excited to get her on wild birds and have her get some experience. Going to hunt her as much as I can this year and finish her after the season.