Shooting feathers with a modern compound?

Titan_Bow

WKR
Now that the seasons are winding down, I have been thinking about what I can improve or change for next year. Not that vanes have ever really failed or cause problems with me, but I do think I am going to go back to my traditional archery roots and try shooting a bigger cut on contact head out of my compound. I have been shooting cutthroats and before that, STOS and Magnus heads, for years out of my recurve. I like the simplicity of maybe going to a single broadhead for both my recurve and my compound.
With traditional gear, I have always shot big feathers. I never worried about the drag slowing down an already slow arrow, because the benefit of stability those big feathers created was what I was after. Seeing that big "ball" of color as the arrow soared to the target is pretty cool!
So, I know I wouldnt want to shoot 5 inch feathers out of a compound, but how many out there are shooting 3in. or even those 2in. Rayzr feathers from Gateway? I live and hunt in a primarily arid environment, so I am not super concerned with the main downside everyone says about feathers, whcih is their lack of waterproofness. I hunted with a recurve or longbow for 30 years, all over the country, and that was never really a major concern. I am more interested to know how smaller feathers might benefit or maybe not benefit, stabilizing a larger COC broadhead out of a modern compound. For reference, I am shooting a Black 5, currently turned down to 63# at 29". My current arrow is 525-ish. I have been shooting G5 Strykers for elk, and Sevrs for whitetails. I have a bunch of cutthroats though, and would like to just shoot those out of everything.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Funny-this past season I tried vanes as I see so many using the quick spin type/do at home stuff. I had some crazy stuff going on with my arrows and threw them away. (actually, anyone wants the other pack of 6-PM me they are yours!)
I have 2 modern bows (hoyt CF) and shoot long feathers. My bow guy-who is the Mr. Miyagi of archery in my book swears by feathers and had me sold 19 years ago with several side by side comparisons of stabilization of my arrows. I only shoot fixed blade broadheads. Currently very happy with NAP hellrazors.

*was sharing my experience-I do NOT care to argue with our self appointed archery gods on here

I found it interesting that my indoor arrows fly better with 3" vanes than 3.5" feathers. I shot them in shooting machine and the vanes were a 30-40% tighter group than the feathers. I'm not claiming that as an absolute, just took a dozen arrows and fletched 6 and 6 to try. Didn't play with it any more. I'm planning on revisiting it at some point, but it was enough for me at the time to strip those feathers and put the 300's on.

Feathers might be more forgiving to flaws, I don't know.

Flex fetch FFP-300's versus target max 3.5 feathers.

IMG_20211108_141118737.jpgIMG_20211108_141114989.jpg

The shafts had been nock tuned. I think it was around 35 yards. Arrow one was refired after the group was fired in order to make sure nothing moved. In the feather group it hit same hole, in the vanes it hit a little high or low of previous impact, can't remember for certain.

Most of the pros have gone to vanes for indoors, that could be because of sponsors, but I doubt it. Feathers lay over at take-off, vanes dont.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Changing because of nostalgia is one thing, but you shouldn't have any problems finding a vane combination that will work with the Cutthroats.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Changing because of nostalgia is one thing, but you shouldn't have any problems finding a vane combination that will work with the Cutthroats.

Yep, I get that. I do think nostalgia is a big part of my decision here as well. If they work and theres little downside to them, I like that nostalgic aspect of using feathers. However, I am not going to do it at a detriment.

I shot 5” feathers out of a compound with cut on contact heads for 15yrs. But that was before I learned anything about tuning arrows. Now that I’m bareshaft/nock tuning my arrows I started using 3” gateway shield cuts for the past 3yrs. with cutthroat and iron will heads. The only time using vanes crosses my mind is going on future Alaska hunts with the chance of a lot of rain, but I doubt I switch. As far as how they fly with a cut on contact head I have zero complaints. My setup is a prime ct9, 29”, 82#, 665gr., don’t know the speed.

CoStick

WKR
I found it interesting that my indoor arrows fly better with 3" vanes than 3.5" feathers. I shot them in shooting machine and the vanes were a 30-40% tighter group than the feathers. I'm not claiming that as an absolute, just took a dozen arrows and fletched 6 and 6 to try. Didn't play with it any more. I'm planning on revisiting it at some point, but it was enough for me at the time to strip those feathers and put the 300's on.

Feathers might be more forgiving to flaws, I don't know.

Flex fetch FFP-300's versus target max 3.5 feathers.

View attachment 354725View attachment 354726

The shafts had been nock tuned. I think it was around 35 yards. Arrow one was refired after the group was fired in order to make sure nothing moved. In the feather group it hit same hole, in the vanes it hit a little high or low of previous impact, can't remember for certain.

Most of the pros have gone to vanes for indoors, that could be because of sponsors, but I doubt it. Feathers lay over at take-off, vanes dont.
That might be due to spine with the weight difference between the two.

CoStick

WKR
I switched back to feathers because the ease of fletching with tape.

That might be due to spine with the weight difference between the two.

Both were stiff.
Out of a shooting machine I think you have enough control that spine isn't a huge factor.
Spine comes into play more with the forgiveness of the setup when the shooter screws up.

I'd put 4, 4 inch vanes on and call it a day. I used to shoot traditional as well, to me there is no "updside" to feathers other than nostalgia as stated above. Not long ago I used to shoot the big original snuffers off my compound and to solve the issue you're trying to solve, I just went with a 4 fletch with big vanes. Bears hated them!

If it's about the nostalgia, you should just go back to a trad bow!

As a trad guy myself, I still think vanes are way better if you don't have to worry about shelf clearance. They will spin arrows well, are waterproof, durable, quieter in brush, and quieter in flight. Winners all around. I only shoot feathers because I'm too stuck on shooting off the shelf with my trad bows.

TheTone

WKR
I shot feathers for several years. Always had good flight but switched for durability and sound reasons. A beat up feather is really loud!