Shooting Grouse, etc. while Elk Hunting

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I currently have 6 arrows that I feel good about for a colorado September elk hunt, but am considering whether or not to build/pack 6 more in case I lose/ruin a couple shooting at small game. To those with more experience, what do you recommend? Is it realistic that I will have alot of opportunities at grouse or other small game? I'm focused on going after an elk, but also don't want to get in the backcountry and wish I had brought more. Also buying the OTC bear tag if that matters. Should I just do 4 broadheads and 2 small game heads? I have seen the other thread about folks saying they only shot 1 arrow in 5 seasons, etc.

Last edited:

Anozira

WKR
Depends on where your hunting at but yes It can be easy to start loosing/ damaging arrows while hunting grouse. But it’s a blast and can really raise morral if your not having luck getting into elk. I’d bring extra arrows or at least have them at the truck if your nearby. Grouse are fantastic table fair. Cook them like you would chicken and enjoy!

ScottP

WKR
I never regretted the one small game arrow in the quiver. A grouse for dinner on night 5 in the backcountry is awesome. They can be abundant in some places

There's a lot of variables here. If it's a place with grouse, and you have a bloodlust for mountain chickens then more arrows on your pack doesn't hurt.
I used to carry small game heads (bludgeons, or judos) on one arrow just in case, but the places I go don't have a lot of grouse. So I stopped doing that. I used to also have a tendency to go "bet I can hit that squirrel at 60" and send slick tricks at them. Then spend hours trying to find my arrow. (Luckily I've gotten less itchy.)

Currently I bring extra in the car. And just my quiver full with whatever broad head I'm using.

If I miss every shot I deserve to walk out of the wilderness and get more arrows. LOL

I carry 6, 4 ready for big game, 2 for small game. I shoot a fair amount of grouse. I'll take a coyote given the option as well. I'm also not conservative on big game. When I shoot at an elk, I'll keep shooting if given a shot.

Lack of arrows hasn't been a problem yet.

I don't take tree shots, I have learned I ain't getting them back. Even with the fluflu.

Randle

WKR
I have a 7 arrow quiver 5 broadhead and 2 limb chicken arrows.
I have found some cheaper arrows that shoot well with blunts so I use them for chickens.

Wrench

WKR
Longbow guy here, I shoot everything I can with judos or similar. It keeps me in the game. I bust or lose arrows. Footing has made stump shooting last longer.

I have been on elk within 100 yards of grouse I've killed too....again, longbows here so not very loud.20190909_172940.jpg

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
I used to carry a Judo head arrow for grouse or whatever. Then about 6 years ago, in the heat of the moment, I reached for a broadhead as the biggest bull I ever saw was on his way in. He stopped in my shooting lane at 30 yards, looked away from me, and I sent one. Thankfully just over his back. When I found my broadheaded arrow imagine my horror when I saw it had a Judo on the end. I swore then I would never ever have anything but broadheads in my quiver. On a good note, after all these years, somedays I don't think about that bull over 6 or 8 times.

dsayer

FNG
This will be our first time archery hunting since my buddy and I stumbled around the woods back when we were in college. We would have been better off carrying 4 small game heads and one broadhead, just in case. 😂

For those hunting OTC Colorado, make sure you've got the right privileges to sling an arrow at those birds. Shooting grouse has become such a part of archery elk hunting that I think some people forget it's actually small game hunting and requires that license.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I pack one judo in my quiver and a couple in my pack. I get trigger happy and don’t mind sending arrows into outer space

Wrench

WKR
I used to carry a Judo head arrow for grouse or whatever. Then about 6 years ago, in the heat of the moment, I reached for a broadhead as the biggest bull I ever saw was on his way in. He stopped in my shooting lane at 30 yards, looked away from me, and I sent one. Thankfully just over his back. When I found my broadheaded arrow imagine my horror when I saw it had a Judo on the end. I swore then I would never ever have anything but broadheads in my quiver. On a good note, after all these years, somedays I don't think about that bull over 6 or 8 times.
I stuff my judo upside down in my quiver to avoid just that.

Laramie

WKR
I stuff my judo upside down in my quiver to avoid just that.
Good idea. I use a different brand/color of arrow. It also has longer/different height fletching. No way to mistake it for a good arrow- even when you have a little buck fever.

Wrench

WKR
Just remember that the hood doesn't hold a nock as tight and after 2-3 shots the judo arrow will start making noise.....i put an oring around the judo to kill the spring vibration too, helps keep it stealth.

I've never taken an arrow specifically for small game, but could see how that would be a great idea. I've killed grouse with my regular hunting arrows, and when I'm cooking them over a fire like a little rotisserie chicken after a hard day hiking through the mountains, I don't seem to mind the lost arrow or 2. Best of luck this year!

Geewhiz

WKR
When I'm elk hunting I'm elk hunting not making racket fiddling around with birds. lol But on a slow day I could see how it would be fun. :p