Shooting Grouse, etc. while Elk Hunting

Wrench

WKR
I just had some VPA thumpers show uo today.....these will be the TICKET for grouse.

Marble

WKR
I keep a "squirl arrow" in my quiver at all times with judo point. It generally gets used on a grouse.

I have brought extra good arrows into the back country but may or may not this year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I like eating grouse. I don’t like carrying arrows just for them. I only have a 4 arrow quiver. So I carry a tiny little Taurus .38 revolver loaded with bird shot rounds. If I was lost and starving I’d rather have that anyway. And no it hasn’t disturbed the elk. It’s no different than a tree falling or lightning. They don’t panic. I’ve seen elk right after shooting 2 grouse. Good luck this fall Doc!

Rob5589

WKR

Hunterbug

FNG
I killed my first grouse with my bow while elk hunting. It was my first bow kill period. I have a buddy that carries a 22 pistol with a suppressor while archery hunting just for grouse.

hobbes

WKR
I don't use my "good" arrows for grouse and sure don't use broadheads. I sometimes carry an arrow with a judo pt. It's fun to shoot a grouse or two but I've gotten over it for the most part. Cleaning them and packing them around all day in the heat is a pain. I mostly run across spruce grouse. The blues are few and far between and the ruffed are pretty jumpy. Ruffed are the best eating in my opinion and blues behind them. Spruce are definitely edible but are my last choice of the three.

I made an exception for these blues a couple three years ago. I had to look for one for 30 minutes after it sailed down the mountain with my arrow protruding from both sides.
20171006_113506.jpg

Maverick1

WKR
When I'm elk hunting I'm elk hunting not making racket fiddling around with birds. lol But on a slow day I could see how it would be fun. :p
Same here. I’m there to kill an elk, and I try not to do anything that takes away my time, energy, or focus from that mission. (I respect others that do, though!).

TheTone

WKR
I don’t mess with grouse or other small game when I’m elk hunting. All broadheads in the quiver for me. I have a good friend a few years ago that had an elk that refused to die, he was down to his judo point at one point looking at a wounded bull. He ended up having to find one of his other arrows on the ground to finish the bull

I always have a 5th arrow with a super solid fixed blade broadhead that can survive a stump shot that I use to shoot grouse with. With a solid fixed I can still shoot big game if Im down to the last arrow as opposed to a judo. Lighted nocks helps find the arrow too

RealMoses

FNG
I went one season without carrying a judo and saw so many shootable grouse it made me sick. Now I carry a judo and never see any haha

Love the field dressing video. I’ve passed so many elk I could feed an army. I too carry a 4 arrow quiver into the backcountry. I may have 1 grouse arrow next year if I don’t draw a NM tag