Shooting in the Backyard

wayoh22

WKR
I'm sure this differs state by state but does anyone know if it's illegal to shoot a bow in backyard? Residing in CT and couldn't find anything online. A neighbor that lives off center to where I shoot along the side of my house is complaining about me shooting there. Have a giant shed as a backstop incase I was to ever miss (not a brag). Have asked a buddy who is law enforcement looking into it for me so waiting for that answer.

It would be city or HOA thing, not a state law, if it is illegal.

I can shoot 40-50 yards standing in front of my neighbors house on the street and shooting to the fence on the opposite end of my property. None of my neighbors care. Plus I do it early in the morning when nobody is out.

Bl704

WKR
I'm sure this differs state by state but does anyone know if it's illegal to shoot a bow in backyard? Residing in CT and couldn't find anything online. A neighbor that lives off center to where I shoot along the side of my house is complaining about me shooting there. Have a giant shed as a backstop incase I was to ever miss (not a brag). Have asked a buddy who is law enforcement looking into it for me so waiting for that answer.
IF neighbor is an otherwise OK person, except their concern (like they have kids) AND there isn't an ordinance prohibiting, it's probably easier to call them over have a cold beverage and discuss. Show them the back stop (mitigation) and (hopefully) show them your reasonably proficient and safety aware / concerned. Even if you have to shift stuff around the yard to apease, it'll be less headaches.

If they are a dick, and you live in a rural area, with no ordinance, and your buddy tells you you have nothing to be concerned about, you can tell them to pound sand.

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
Looked up local ordinances and there was nothing so I will continue to shoot. And I've already moved things around from them and that was 2 years ago...pound sand they shall

87TT

WKR
I live in a place once that I had to shoot down a 5" gap between my house and the fence. If I wanted 40 yards, I had to go to the middle of the street and shoot over my 4' chain link fence. Now I live out in the sticks on 7 acres and shoot as far as I can. :D

TomJoad

WKR
It’s been illegal in every town I’ve lived in. It’s usually covered under “unlawful discharge of a firearm”. Bows are considered deadly weapons. That being said I’ve done it with what I consider redundant safeguards. Target noise is also a consideration. Getting a stacked foam target is super quiet compared to a bag target that sounds like a gun going off.

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
I know in my town you can't inside city limits but I know alot of guys that do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you have houses right around like a normal neighborhood then I’m sorry you shouldn’t be shooting your bow in the backyard. That’s just dumb. I’d complain also.
If out in country and have room around your house or no one directly behind you or where you’re shooting or say maybe 120° or so in either direction of path your shooting then I’d maybe do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zsyacsure

FNG
Check local laws I had the cops called on me for shooting my bow into a standing corn field... nothing came of it they just said it was a local law that I couldn’t shoot I’m within “city limits”

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
My town says you can’t shoot inside of city limits, but I’ve never had any neighbors call the cops on me.

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. And just to be clear I have giant shed as a back stop but even behind that there's no houses or anything.

Gorp2007

WKR
Find your local city ordinances and look at the section on discharging weapons. Where I'm at, the city of San Antonio forbids it but the suburb I live in says it's fine as long as the arrows stay on my property. Next up I'd check your HOA covenants.

Also understand that cold beverage diplomacy may prevent your neighbor from bringing it up to the HOA and having it formally put on the books.

Last edited:
Just about everything is illegal in CT. I lived there for a few years...

Shooting a bow in my town in NC is illegal in city limits. I'm discrete about it and my neighbors are all on good terms with me. My target is in my garage and I shoot down the driveway. I have full arrow containment. There's a neighbor a few houses down who shoots his crossbow and has a very sketchy backstop (his neighbor's garage/pool). He leaves his target up and arrows sticking out. I figure if the cops come he's going to get it before me.

HOA pricks are another concern depending on your situation.

According to the law in my town, bow are considered weapons and not allowed to be fired. For quite a while, I shot down my drive and into my garage. Unfortunately, my neighbor across the street has become very confrontational so I have since moved to shooting in the basement.

stonewall

WKR
When I lived in town I looked up local ordinance and found nothing. I lived on the main road in town (historic home actually zoned commercial). For 60 yards I had to stand by the road so wanted to be legal for sure.