Shooting invasive Iguanas with a pellet gun? Florida!

boom

WKR
Dang!
the lockdown has me cruising YouTube. In Florida people are sniping the lizards with air guns.
looks like a blast. I just checked and my airgun fits in my airline rifle case.

is this really a thing? sanctioned by fish/game?

im tempted to buy a second rifle so my brother will go with me.

after the virus madness of course. Airline tickets are gonna be inexpensive I bet.

Fatcamp

WKR
In! Spent a week in south Florida last January.

KIMG2639.JPG

Dang things are all over. Never did figure out where I could shoot them.
Well, that's not true. I just didn't have time to search any of the public lands I identified. Invasive snakes are in the mix too.

pk_

WKR
I get paid to shoot them now and again...(pest control) I charge $75/head, 4 head minimum. Idk where you could really do this with success recreationally(legally), but have never looked into it. Also they are delicious not sure if you were intending on eating them.

AGPank

WKR
I get paid to shoot them now and again...(pest control) I charge $75/head, 4 head minimum. Idk where you could really do this with success recreationally(legally), but have never looked into it. Also they are delicious not sure if you were intending on eating them.

What meat do you eat? Tail like gator? Small or big? Does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
PR has a huge iguana problem and airgunning is legal. Lots of videos on YT.

From a quick Google it looks like there are 22 places to hunt them on public lands although it did not list them.

"Homeowners do not need a permit to kill iguanas on their own property, and the (wildlife commission) encourages homeowners to kill green iguanas on their own property whenever possible," the statement reads. "Iguanas can also be killed year-round and without a permit on 22 public lands in south Florida."

Fatcamp

WKR
Lady at the car rental place from Guatamala says you just throw the whole thing in the fire. Said the little bones get in the way but it is delicious.

bsnedeker

WKR
Hunting with a pellet gun is a lot of fun! I have a flock of invasive pigeons that have been ruining the hayloft in my barn and I've been putting a hurting on them with my 22 pellet rifle.

For anyone interested: Bacon wrapped jalepeno pigeon poppers are pretty dang good!

pk_

WKR
What meat do you eat? Tail like gator? Small or big? Does it matter?

Back legs and tail. Like frog legs.

Careful with the ‘year round’ idea on public land. Air rifles are considered firearms by fwc (as are bows)and discharging a firearm on any public land outside of a legal hunting season is illegal.

Only places on public land I can think of near me that may have some iguanas would be the levees around the glades, but again discharging a firearm from or across a levee is illegal.

They congregate near canals and are extremely active during summer.

Good luck.

Fatcamp

WKR

The document this links says you can remove or kill from public land except by trap or firearm. ? So we are spearing them?

KHNC

WKR
There was thread recently on Bowsite from a guide. he was using bowfishing equipment. Dont remember his name though. He shot a load of them.

AGPank

WKR
I removed a big cane toad with my 25 cal pcp last night. Lots of creepy critters here.

OP
B

boom

WKR
wow. i never realized there was a varmint forum section!!

bsfl

FNG
Not a lot of them on public lands in South Florida. Maybe down in Miami at Rocky Glades SGA but it has to be during general gun season. Unfortunately you can’t just walk the levees off the highway and shoot them. That would be a quick way for a visit from the Sheriff’s office. We shoot em off our private dock with an airgun but you have to be mindful of the houses around you that you can spit on much less put a pellet through. You can snare em with a noose off the end of a cane pole as you motor or kayak around though.

Wrench

WKR
Eating iguanas seems not far enough from Chinese eating the shit in wuhan...not that it can't be good, but many made a fuss about their "exotic" foods, and here we are talking about eating vermin.

Felix40

WKR
Not a lot of them on public lands in South Florida. Maybe down in Miami at Rocky Glades SGA but it has to be during general gun season. Unfortunately you can’t just walk the levees off the highway and shoot them. That would be a quick way for a visit from the Sheriff’s office. We shoot em off our private dock with an airgun but you have to be mindful of the houses around you that you can spit on much less put a pellet through. You can snare em with a noose off the end of a cane pole as you motor or kayak around though.

How about gigging them?

ZMT588

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting with a pellet gun is a lot of fun! I have a flock of invasive pigeons that have been ruining the hayloft in my barn and I've been putting a hurting on them with my 22 pellet rifle.

For anyone interested: Bacon wrapped jalepeno pigeon poppers are pretty dang good!

Just found myself a ranch here in MT who will let me use my airgun on Pigeons! Tons of fun!