Shooting off a lighter weight tripod

Vandy321

WKR
Anybody have experience shooting off of their lighter weight optics tripod in the backcountry? Having a small arca swiss rail added to my stock. Typically shoot from just a bipod, but sitting with treking poles is an option as well.

Have a promaster xc525c, figured I'd see if the promaster head can hack a 10lb rifle. Would not be a primary means to shoot, but thought in a pinch, maybe steep inclines, it may be more stable than prone or sitting/kneeling trekking poles.

Figure someone has been down this road already? How did it work out? Eventually a RRS tripod will be on the list for the range, but doubt I'd ever lug that weight around in my pack.

I took a v notch off a pair of shooting sticks and threaded it on an arca Swiss plate that goes in my tripod. When I am walking around that V notch is in my tripod so I could quickly deploy a rifle. For three additional ounces it works great.

mt100gr.

WKR
This Tikka CTR is close to 10 lbs. My Sirui T-024x will support it easily. It's plenty stable for medium range shooting and very versatile. I recently put first round shots on a 10 inch plate at 550, 590 and 675 yards from a sitting position. It's going to replace my bipod for some hunts this year. The sirui weighs in the 2lb neighborhood.20190728_105609.jpg

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
This Tikka CTR is close to 10 lbs. My Sirui T-024x will support it easily. It's plenty stable for medium range shooting and very versatile. I recently put first round shots on a 10 inch plate at 550, 590 and 675 yards from a sitting position. It's going to replace my bipod for some hunts this year. The sirui weighs in the 2lb neighborhood.View attachment 114824

That's what I was hoping to hear. Those sirui and the promaster seem very similar in build quality/strength. I was debating giving it a go withput bipod this Oct. I need to put some work in from the tripod, but figure if I'm already carrying it for glass, may as well put it to good use for shooting, time permitting as well.

mt100gr.

WKR
That's what I was hoping to hear. Those sirui and the promaster seem very similar in build quality/strength. I was debating giving it a go withput bipod this Oct. I need to put some work in from the tripod, but figure if I'm already carrying it for glass, may as well put it to good use for shooting, time permitting as well.
There are some trade offs but it's a slick way to set up. Not being tied to finding a place to set up a prone shooting position is comforting. With the short center stem on the sirui it works great for prone as well. ....but glassing off the tripod with the short stem is more cumbersome than with the long center stem. Tradeoffs. 20190728_105810.jpg

mt100gr.

WKR
Also, I think my tripod is rated to 11ish pounds on the head...? The balance point on this setup could be better - something I plan to address this winter when I pull the stock off again. Right now it's not getting messed with. The tripod locks it in tight and it makes for a lot of options.

It’s all I do exclusively.
831703ca96f918442a45662d6ae04fc1.jpg

https://youtu.be/dbNfkSGdvxE
a5b1d07f52f6ed15723cb2d85b4da3c8.jpg

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
It’s all I do exclusively.
831703ca96f918442a45662d6ae04fc1.jpg

a5b1d07f52f6ed15723cb2d85b4da3c8.jpg
Credit where credit is due. Dan had a long, multi-post contribution on another tripod thread that I kept finding myself picking through. I finally did the tinkering and am a fan of the results. He has a few YouTube clips as well if anyone is on the fence. Good stuff.

I’m not a big fan, but only tried using a v yoke. It was too annoying to adjust compared to my regular shooting sticks, and wasn’t any steadier. Really wanted to ditch the sticks but I can’t.

Big Ern

WKR
I run a feiaol 3342. Great tripod. Lightweight for the rating. Also, about 40% of the price of the RRS and lighter. I still use an RRS leveling base as I believe the RRS stuff is the best.

tdot

WKR
I run a feiaol 3342. Great tripod. Lightweight for the rating. Also, about 40% of the price of the RRS and lighter. I still use an RRS leveling base as I believe the RRS stuff is the best.

Which leveling base? I understood the 3342 only accepted a smaller diameter base then the RRS.

bradb

WKR
I used a RRS tfct 34 with anvil head on my Yukon sheep and moose hunt. Its not a light tripod at 4.75 pounds, but super stable and no bipod weight. I have but t nuts in most all my stocks for direct mount of a ARCA rail. IT does give a lot more options then a bipod, a little slower in use but I won't go back. I would like to try some of there 24 or 14 legs to cut some weight for hunting, but to dang expensive for me