Shooting off a tripod

I want to start working towards being better while shooting off of a tripod. I have a piece that I can connect to my rifle via MLok. My question is where is the optimal location for it? I have a 16” barrel with a Silencerco Omega can attached. 15” SLR rail.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
it depends on your shot position. Kneeling or standing I run as close to the receiver as I can. If I’m using it to shoot prone, just like a bipod I usually run it towards the end of the fore end.

@hereinaz might have some Good info for you too!

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
As close to the balance point as you can get. Usually, just forward of the mag well.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I want to start working towards being better while shooting off of a tripod. I have a piece that I can connect to my rifle via MLok. My question is where is the optimal location for it? I have a 16” barrel with a Silencerco Omega can attached. 15” SLR rail.
Typically as close to the balance point as possible for shots unsupported in the rear.

If supported in the rear, then move it forward to create a wider "base".

If I had to choose one, it would be at the balance point, and that is where I ran a short piece on my rifle until I put a full rail on.

More than that, creating maximum recoil management off a tripod is critical. I can get my reticle settled but still miss a shot because of poor control of the rifle.

So experiment.

Inside 200 yards, effect is minimal.

OP
justinspicher
To clarify my weapons system, it is an AR15 platform, so I am thinking for the balance, closer to the mag well, does that sound right?