Shooting off of Tripod with Pan Head

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried searching but can't find much on it. I am new to the tripod game and where I hunt 90% of my time, I don't need a tripod. However, I am toying with the single use tripod for glassing with a set of 10x42 Swaros as well as shooting off of a tripod. I don't want to sink $1000+ into a set up for once or twice a year. I recently bought a Slik 824CF tripod with the Slik SVH501 pan head. Works great with the binos. I am thinking of putting one of the SRS hunters' rails under my rifles and shooting off of this setup. Shots max 6-700 yards. Rifle is under 10lbs. For those that are much more experienced than I am, can you shoot off of a fluid head vs a ball head? I don't want to carry a pack full of heads to make it work. Input?

The ideal condition is to shoot off of a bowl or ball head, I think you're aware of that. Inversely, it's ideal to glass with a pan head.
For me, it came down to the fact that my tripod is used for glassing 99% or more of the time. Few of my shots are taken off of the tripod. That said, it's a phenomenal option to have. I like to have ARCA plates on all my rifles for that reason.
My experience has been that shooting from a panhead isn't ideal, but it definitely works. The number one challenge is leveling the rifle. It has to be leveled by adjusting the tripod legs, which takes more time, effort, and movement. It does work pretty well though, and I think it's just as steady as a good ball head.
For a dedicated shooting trip or coyote hunting, I still swap for a ball head. While big game hunting, I prioritize glassing so the panhead stays on and I deal with having the level the entire system with the tripod legs.

mthayr

WKR
What about using an Arca compatible ball/bowl head and a panning clamp with an Arca plate on the bottom of it. Something like this perhaps?
IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG

I just experimented with making a shelf for my tripod. I used a piece of micarta and drilled/tapped it for 3/8-16 to fit my bipod's stud. I can then rest a bag for a rifle or binos on top. The bag gives me some cushion and elevatior. That said, I am not a mountain hunter so my need for extreme elevation changes just isn't there.

You could use a piece of plywood to test, micarta is available from knifemakers supply stores for cheap too. I glued a piece of neoprene on top of the micarta for more grip, but I'll likely remove that in favor of velcro.

Attachments

• IMG_2645.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Twodog

FNG
I did something like this:

I bought the bog deathgrip head on camofire and got an extra plate for my tripod and just swap out the spotter for the bog head when its shooting time. i dont clamp it in just use it as a rest which is super stable.

I think you’d be wasting money and time without any benefit. That head has an advertised weight rating of 6.6 pounds, and you’ll be working against it. I think that tripod will be fairly wobbly as well, and that rail is kind of an odd configuration.

If you’re adamant on using that tripod, I’d just plan on bringing a shooting bag to throw on top of the collapsed center column or head or your mounted binos.

I’d also temper your expectations on shooting 6-700 yards, particularly if you aren’t regularly practicing from that tripod setup. Google Rifle Kraft and shoot that drill.
I agree 100%.