Shooting off sirui va-5

Have a set of slik legs and a sirui va-5. Want to be able to shoot off of the legs. I can either get a shooting V to mount on an arca swiss plate or get a picatinny to arca adapter. The picatinny adapter sounds way more stable, but the shock of shooting seems like not the best idea for the fluid head. My thought is at least with the V, the head doesnt take all of the shock from shots since the gun can slide. What's everyones thoughts? Thanks!

If you'd be using the pic for other things than the tripod, I could see that as part of the decision process. But assuming you're also using that tripod and head for glassing, a Slik tripod with VA-5 and direct mount arca plate works great-- skip the pic middle man. Direct mount arca on your stock is going to be just as quick (maybe quicker?) than an arca mounted V and a lot more stable. The only advantage I see with a V is you can cant the rifle in the pocket of the V. Disclaimer I've got maybe 1,000 shots in this year with the direct mount arca and playing around with it, but my experience with this new-to-me setup has been pretty smooth.

Similar setup, but I have the arca plate as far back as I could put it on the stock to center the rifle weight over the tripod.

I would say yes, shooting off of it is rougher use than just glassing, but it's holding up fine. The only thing I notice as far as wear from shooting is on a thin 1-inch long spot on VA-5 head surface where the arca plate sits next to the little tensioner bar that is activated where the quick release knob adds tension to lock in the plate. But again, not bad, it's just slight wear (paint rubbed off on that spot) that wouldn't be there if I were only attaching binoculars and spotting scopes.

Attachments

• 166931971_1977967315689613_8132188277081061583_n.jpg
    166931971_1977967315689613_8132188277081061583_n.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 139
OP
W
Thanks all for the input, I went ahead and bought arca plates for a few rifles and got the chance to shoot them today. With the 300RUM, the arca plate wants to slip a little. The lightweight legs and head I believe helps absorb any shock running through the head since the setup is so lightweight.

Here is what I wound up doing, milled out the bottom of my rem 700 stock to create a nice flat space for the arca plate that's close to flush with the bottom of the rifle, didnt want it to dig into my side or anything while hunting. Two brass inserts in the stock make it very solid.

Shot out to 500M today with it, not rock solid but deffinitely sufficient to shoot deer/elk out to 600 yards (further than I'm willing to take shots currently).

Whole setup weighs like 4lbs, quick switches between binocs, spotting scope rifle, and it takes maybe 30 seconds to setup total. Thanks for everyones input!

Attachments

• 20211023_171927.jpg
    20211023_171927.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 241
  • 20211023_171930.jpg
    20211023_171930.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 20211023_173339.jpg
    20211023_173339.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 240
I've dropped two different VA-5's off my dirt bike at speed. I broke the level on one, but otherwise both are perfectly functional.

I use a v-yoke in my VA-5 with a 308 and no concern.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
How do you correct for cant angles when using the VA-5 head. Its my first year with a tripod and so far it's a pain to get it completely level for shooting. For this year I've resorted more to shooting off my quick stix or bag.

Would a leveling head be useful for correcting cant?

How do you correct for cant angles when using the VA-5 head. Its my first year with a tripod and so far it's a pain to get it completely level for shooting. For this year I've resorted more to shooting off my quick stix or bag.

Would a leveling head be useful for correcting cant?

V-yoke might be a better option.

Thanks all for the input, I went ahead and bought arca plates for a few rifles and got the chance to shoot them today. With the 300RUM, the arca plate wants to slip a little. The lightweight legs and head I believe helps absorb any shock running through the head since the setup is so lightweight.

Here is what I wound up doing, milled out the bottom of my rem 700 stock to create a nice flat space for the arca plate that's close to flush with the bottom of the rifle, didnt want it to dig into my side or anything while hunting. Two brass inserts in the stock make it very solid.

Shot out to 500M today with it, not rock solid but deffinitely sufficient to shoot deer/elk out to 600 yards (further than I'm willing to take shots currently).

Whole setup weighs like 4lbs, quick switches between binocs, spotting scope rifle, and it takes maybe 30 seconds to setup total. Thanks for everyones input!
Out of curiosity, is this system still holding up? I have a va5 as well and am thinking of putting unknown munitions hunter rail on my 300 Norma. I wouldn't shoot off of it often, but some practice then having the ability to take a tripod stabilized shot at high angles or standing is tempting.

OP
W
Out of curiosity, is this system still holding up? I have a va5 as well and am thinking of putting unknown munitions hunter rail on my 300 Norma. I wouldn't shoot off of it often, but some practice then having the ability to take a tripod stabilized shot at high angles or standing is tempting.
Sure js. Granted I only have about 100 shots off it. Spotter, binos, and rifle from 1 setup.

Sure js. Granted I only have about 100 shots off it. Spotter, binos, and rifle from 1 setup.
Awesome, that's good to hear! I was a bit concerned about shooting a large bore magnum off of it, but seems like as long as it's infrequent it will be fine

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is pretty hard to beat a good arca rail! This is a little heavier setup than what you are running but the arca gives unmatched stability. The biggest thing is making sure that you can clamp on at the center of the balance point on your rifle. If you are too far forward or back then you have to control that weight vs being centered up the rifle will just sit there. Would highly recommend spending a little extra money and getting a good head that you know is not going to let you down in the backcountry!

Attachments

• 262429037_432250775056302_5826348887294179766_n.jpg
    262429037_432250775056302_5826348887294179766_n.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 122

j43097

FNG
Similar setup, but I have the arca plate as far back as I could put it on the stock to center the rifle weight over the tripod.

I would say yes, shooting off of it is rougher use than just glassing, but it's holding up fine. The only thing I notice as far as wear from shooting is on a thin 1-inch long spot on VA-5 head surface where the arca plate sits next to the little tensioner bar that is activated where the quick release knob adds tension to lock in the plate. But again, not bad, it's just slight wear (paint rubbed off on that spot) that wouldn't be there if I were only attaching binoculars and spotting scopes.
Good info, thank you

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I've run a pile of rounds over my va5 using the salmon River solutions ARCA plates. They seem to hold up well. I disagree about using the center mounting point though. I like it as far forward as I can get it and loop the handles crossing my trekking poles for a rear support. I'll shoot as far that way as I would off my bipod.