Shooting Off the Riser

Whisky

WKR
Who all does it? And what do you wrap around it, if anything? Athletic tape? Camo Form?

I did a quick, and very inconclusive test over my lunch break today (only shooting about 14 yards in my house). I got a new sight this year, Hogg It with that extension bar. First thing I started noticing was some shaky pins, which I assume is more visible with that long sight. So today I shot 8 arrows with the grip on. I then took it off and shot 8 off the riser. This was my first time shooting off the riser, it was uncomfortable as hell, but I shot better, and the shaking went away. There just might be some merit to this. :D

Just looking for a way to make it a bit more comfortable. I imagine that riser get's cold as heck without a grip on it too.

sk1

WKR
i was going to use athletic tape, but it was suggested to me to also look into tennis racquet grips., they usually offer a little padding and you can get them from smooth to tacky.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I too shot my Hoyt from the riser wrapped with some hockey stick tape which is plenty "grippy" for me. And the tennis racquet grips people are talking about are basically a thicker/ padded "grip tape" and a different kind of "grip" feel to them or at least the ones I have felt were that way. I shot the thinner tape better, just more consistent for me...

Took the grip off my hoyt too, using a camo stretchy wrap now, but I have a feeling that it absorbs scent. Does the hockey tape or tennis racquet tape absorb scents?

sk1

WKR
Took the grip off my hoyt too, using a camo stretchy wrap now, but I have a feeling that it absorbs scent. Does the hockey tape or tennis racquet tape absorb scents?

im sure they do, hockey tape almost has a tacky cloth type of a feel to it, and im sure tennis racquet grips would absorb it as well.....i dont see that being an issue, you're not scent free so why does the bow have to be.....if you're concerned about it, shoot all summer and before your hunt replace the tape would be my suggestion, but then again im sure the tape adhesive has a "scent" that we dont really notice....we're always fighting a losing battle on the scent thing

Lawnboi

WKR
The tennis racket tape made it feel too cushy. I prefer atheletic tape. Not tacky, but gives a good bit of grip. And it adds nothing to the grip as far as width.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
I think I'd prefer the non tacky grip. I didn't care much for Hoyt's rubber grips they had the last few years. The new wood grip on the Spyder is better, but I can already tell I shoot better without it.

Does athletic tape leave any residue behind, and how does it hold up to wet weather?

Thanks

Lawnboi

WKR
I think I'd prefer the non tacky grip. I didn't care much for Hoyt's rubber grips they had the last few years. The new wood grip on the Spyder is better, but I can already tell I shoot better without it.

Does athletic tape leave any residue behind, and how does it hold up to wet weather?

Thanks

the residue is easy to get off if you decide to go back.

The atheletic tape, once its set in, dosnt go anywhere even when wet. I havnt changed the tape on my AM32 in 2 years.

OR Archer

WKR
Have you thought about putting some side plates on your bow? Ill be using those on my Turbo instead of the full wood grip.

OR Archer

WKR
Yep changed my mind lol. One of the nice thing about working in an archery shop you can play and experiment with the bows more than most.

Hey guys do you just wrap the tape I place of the grip and do you have any pics of your bow I have been thinking about getting a focus grip but this shuld so the same if I understand this right.

It is possible that your draw length was a bit short. Taking the grip off of about any bow out there add at least 3/8 inch to your effective or felt draw length.

Joe

vcb

WKR
I have been reading this thread and today I bought tennis racket tape that is " sticky gauze" wow it really did feel good. My standard grip on the bowtech would get sweaty/ slippery and the tape gives a solid attachment

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Today I bought both athletic tape and hockey tape. They both have a similar feel, not very tacky, which I prefer. I ended up putting the hockey tape on, we'll see how it goes, but I already find it more comfortable than shooting off bare riser.