shooting out of climber with recurve

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, so im still pretty new to the recurve. Last year I was hunting out of my summit viper but that bar made it real difficult. I could still shoot some, but it was real slow deliberate and difficult also limited my shot windows. Im trying to buy the top half of an open shot to get rid of that bar, but in the meantime what can I do to make shooting out of the climber more effective? Also where can I buy the top portion of a top shot (or any open climber)? Thanks folks!

FLS

WKR
Put the seat down low and stand up the whole time is about the only option with the Viper. I use the upper half from and old summit Saber.

dhaverstick

Lil-Rokslider
FLS gives good advice. The Viper was the first climber I purchased years ago and I have bow killed several deer from it. It just takes practice. Saying that, I bought a Summit Razor, where the front folds out of the way, around 4 years after I bought my Viper and it does make bowhunting from it much easier.

Darren

Btaylor

WKR
Get a set of the straps from Third Hand Archery to connect the top and bottom making the top stable. Then you can lean out more. Wear a harness though. Should be wearing one anyway.

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Get a set of the straps from Third Hand Archery to connect the top and bottom making the top stable. Then you can lean out more. Wear a harness though. Should be wearing one anyway.
Will have to try that, was never comfortable leaning out but have heard the straps make it more secure

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Just an FYI, you’ll be limited already in so many ways w a recurve. Practice from all angles and from your stand. You can lean out, lower top section, etc dependent on distance and angle.
One point to bring up, the harness strap. It’s so often restricting. Rock harnesses imo are way easier and as safe if used correctly.
As said lone Wolf climber is much easier. I have multiple summmits, had 2 APIs, man I could go on back since baker was the stand to get if it ever really was. About the only stand I use is a lone Wolf. Easier to climb with and an open front. Way easier to walk w as well

I hunt out of a Viper some and a Hazemore seat really helped me out. It doesn’t hang as low as the original seat, thus allowing the top section to be set lower, giving you better clearance when drawing. I tend to set my stand to where I shoot from the corner of the platform instead of straight off the center.

JMatt

FNG
Well heck, if you’re hunting with a recurve it’s only a matter of time before you bring it down and start hunting from the ground! No bars to worry about down there!

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Well heck, if you’re hunting with a recurve it’s only a matter of time before you bring it down and start hunting from the ground! No bars to worry about down there!
Oh I love that, but I have an urban archery property that requires hunting to be from elevated tree stands only.

JMatt

FNG
You could always cant the bow hard for shots out front and save the upright hold for the passing by on the left shot.

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Got a openshot on FB for $100 not too bad