Shooting positions for bou

JonS

WKR
I'm inquiring about shooting positions and distances for caribou.
My understanding from float trips is to get a little high, spot and then run like hell (not like you can run in tussocks) to try and get ahead of the herd) and realize they're long past ahead of where you tried to intercept them. Then try plan b, which might be seeing the next string coming right at you.

Are the shots likely to be taken prone over a pack, I'm 6'4" tall and wondering about shooting off a tripod either seated or kneeling?

What range can a hunter usually engage a herd, hoping for a big bull.

Please share any advice you possibly have for a late september hunt north of Kotzebue.
Thanks,
Jon

I passed on two shots and was working on getting into position for a third. First shot I passed was a 6-700 yard shot with 20mph winds coming from my right. I passed it up, but was in a sitting with shooting stick at first, and swapped to a prone (kind of) off my pack when I decided not to take the shot. The second shot I passed was a kneeling or sitting with a shooting stick at 350 yds. There were no horns on the bou and I couldn’t justify taking the life of a calf just for meat. The third shot we were working on started at 800 yards and were able to close to within 350 yards before the shot was gone. I was in a boat, and couldn’t take a shot under power. If we had of been closer that would have either been a prone or sitting shot with a pack or stick. There were two of us in the kaboat.

OP
JonS

JonS

WKR
Thanks for the replies, any other suggestions for a guy looking to head north for a little while.
How far away did you see them and how hard is it to pack one over tussocks?
Thanks,
Jon

Bambistew

WKR
Really depends on the terrain. Some areas are thick, some wide open.

I've killed them at 50 yards out to maybe 300, some shot off rests, some off shooting sticks, some off tree's some sitting, some prone. Its not hard to stalk them, there is no definite answer. They are like hunting any other animal, just dumber, YMMV.

How far to see them and stalk them? Depends again. I've spotted bulls at 4-5 miles and killed them the next day.

Also tried to cut off a herda at half a mile and never saw them. When they are moving, they move at about 2x the pace you can. If they are just hanging around, they are usually pretty easy to find and kill after you spot them.

Tussoks suck, learn what they look like and avoid them. They don't carpet the ground everywhere.

I've packed a number of them 3ish miles, but not through many tussocks. I would say most (maybe a dozen) were in the 1.5-2 mile range though. Shortest was about 200 yards fartest was about 5. Again it's all situational. Early in the fall, the big bulls are up high and in small groups, later on they can be about anywhere and pop up out of seemingly nowhere.

Don't sweat the small stuff. If you are in decent shape its not a big deal.

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR

I've killed them at 50 yards out to maybe 300, some shot off rests, some off shooting sticks, some off tree's some sitting, some prone. Its not hard to stalk them, there is no definite answer. They are like hunting any other animal, just dumber, YMMV.

How far to see them and stalk them? Depends again. I've spotted bulls at 4-5 miles and killed them the next day.

Also tried to cut off a herda at half a mile and never saw them. When they are moving, they move at about 2x the pace you can. If they are just hanging around, they are usually pretty easy to find and kill after you spot them.

Tussoks suck, learn what they look like and avoid them. They don't carpet the ground everywhere.

I've packed a number of them 3ish miles, but not through many tussocks. I would say most (maybe a dozen) were in the 1.5-2 mile range though. Shortest was about 200 yards fartest was about 5. Again it's all situational. Early in the fall, the big bulls are up high and in small groups, later on they can be about anywhere and pop up out of seemingly nowhere.

Don't sweat the small stuff. If you are in decent shape its not a big deal.

Agreed with Bambistew. On our North Slope trip two years ago, one was a prone shot at 250 and one was off a pack at 37 yards. Really, the only position that is unlikely is standing, as there is very little over 6' off the ground up there. Just get to know your rifle from various positions well, and you'll be A OK

Like most hunting, whatever you plan for, it'll likely be much different... Don't over think it.

Pretty much what he says. They have a strong herd instinct and rely heavily on that for predator defense. It makes them highly vulnerable to a guy with a rifle . I tend to use terrain more than anything on a caribou stalk and expect to get in pretty close.

I've shot the majority of mine either kneeling or off-hand. Unless you on on the north slope, they are very often found in brushy country, so prone has rarely been an option for me. It's going to vary widely so no need to overthink it.

Of the few dozen caribou I've seen killed, the longest range one I can think of was 270 yds, and most have been less than 150. Quite a few less than 50. The last one I spotted at almost two miles and shot it a couple hrs later it at just 16 yds, off hand in the alders. The one before that I spotted the herd at 1 mile and collected one at 105 yds in the timber. Again with an off hand shot.

Last edited: